Santiago Cabrera initially pursued football before shifting towards acting. He trained at the Drama Centre in London, which led him to several English stage productions. He later appeared in several television shows and films, notably 2006's Love and Other Disasters.
Cabrera gained popularity in the United States when he joined the NBC series Heroes in 2006, as Isaac Mendez, the artist who can paint the future. He left the show after a year. He then recurred in the BBC series Merlin. He currently stars in the Fox series Alcatraz.
- Santiago Cabrera originally wanted to be a soccer star instead of being an actor.
- TV Land Award, Future Classic Award, 2007 (for Heroes)
- Haven (2004)
- Love and Other Disasters (2006)
- Goal II: Living the Dream (2007)
- Che: Part One (2008)
- Meant to Be (2010)
- The Life of Fish (2010)
- Heroes (regular, 2006-2007)
- Merlin (recurring, 2008-2011)
- Alcatraz (recurring, 2012-present)
- "Well you never know. Isaac is a very crucial character and what I loved about this part is that he’s still full of surprises. He’s someone that can go anywhere and you never know what direction he’s going to go. You can take him different places. There’s a lot of depth to him and a lot of layers to this part so I’m thinking yes, but there’s no guarantee for anybody."
- "On my first day back after the holidays, Wendi, my makeup artist, showed me a copy of the Heroes feature in SCI FI magazine in the makeup trailer. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Thank you, SCI FI magazine. Now how am I gonna live up to that? One of 10 sexist men to watch. Tough question. Maybe this can bring on a whole new world for Isaac. I could ask the writers to give him some steamy shower scenes, and if that doesn’t work, they could always make him a doctor."