Padma Lakshmi is an international Indian supermodel, an actress, and an award winning writer. She was educated at Workman High School in the City of Industry, California and later graduated with honors from Clark University in Massachusetts. There, she received her degree in Threatre Arts.
Her career as a model began when she was discovered by a modeling agent in India. She was 16 years old then, and already she worked for designers like Ralph Lauren, Alberta Ferretti, and Emanuel Ungaro. She was also deemed a favorite of photographer Helmut Newton. Since then, she has appeared on the cover of several publications like Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire (India Edition), Newsweek and Harper's Bazaar.
Meanwhile, her film credits include Caribbeans, Sandokan: The Darkness and the Light, Glitter and Boom. She also hosted Padma's Passport in the Food Network and has released several cookbooks.
Lakshmi gained fame as a host on the reality cooking show Top Chef. She introduced the challenges to the contestants every week and sat at the judges table alongside Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons.
- She married novelist Salman Rushdie on April 17, 2004. They met at a party in 1999, hosted by the journalist and editor Tina Brown. In 2007, the couple filed for divorce. His novel "Fury" is dedicated to her.
- On February 20, 2010, despite her battle with endometriosis, she gave birth to a daughter named Krishna Thea Lakshmi. The father was later revealed to be Adam Dell.
- She was raised a vegetarian.
- The seven inch-long scar on the inside of her right arm resulted from a major auto crash that she was in as a child.
- She authored the cookbook known as "Tangy, Tart, Hot and Sweet: A World of Recipes for Every Day".
2010: Emmy Awards - Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program
2006-2011: Top Chef (TV Series) - Herself
2008: Project Runway (TV series) - Herself
2006: Sharpe's Challenge (TV movie) - Madhuvanthi
2006: The Ten Commandments (TV movie) - Princess Bithia
2005: The Mistress of Spices - Geeta
2003: Boom - Shiela Bardez
2002: Enterprise (TV series) - Kaitaama
2001: Melting Pot (TV series) - Program Host
2001: Planet Food (TV series documentary)
2001: Glitter - Sylk
2000: Linda e il brigadiere (TV series) - Indian Lady
1999: Pirates: Blood Brothers (TV mini-series) - Malinche
1998: Il figlio di Sandokan (TV mini-series)