Actor David Julian Hirsh was born on October 26, 1973 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. After graduating from the University of Montreal with a degree in criminology, he moved to New York and studied acting under the Lee Strasburg Institute. He initially worked for different Broadway and off-Broadway productions before pursuing an acting career on television.
From his screen debut in 1998, he has appeared as a guest on several television series, before taking his first regular role, in the short-lived drama Leap Years. He would become famous being the lead in the Canadian television series Naked Josh, which was also aired in the United States. During the time, he also held a recurring role in CSI: NY. He also became a regular cast member in the drama series Lovebites, in 2007, and the miniseries St. Urbain’s Houseman, the same year. He also appeared in films such as Blue Hill Avenue and OHM. Additionally, his work as producer, for the documentary Camp Hollywood, earned him a Gemini Award in 2005.
He currently stars in the TNT drama Hawthorne, alongside Jada Pinkett Smith.
- Gemini Award, Best Performing Arts Program or Series or Arts Documentary Program or Series, 2005 (for Camp Hollywood)
- Blue Hill Avenue (2001)
- OHM (2001)
- Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
- Noel (2004)
- Urban Trenches (2007)
- The Trotsky (2009)
- Leap Years (regular, 2001)
- Naked Josh (regular, 2004-2006)
- CSI: NY (recurring, 2005)
- Lovebites (regular, 2007)
- Hawthorne (regular, 2009-present)