Brooke Smith, the daughter of publicist Lois Smith and publisher Gene Smith, attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts for a year. She made her screen debut in 1988, but only made a splash three years later, when she appeared in the seminal film Silence of the Lambs as the abducted girl Catherine. Her later films include Random Hearts, The Broken Giant and The Namesake.
Smith also dabbled in television, taking recurring roles in Six Feet Under and Heist. She also took a recurring role in the final season of Crossing Jordan: she appeared in all the episodes but wasn't listed in the opening credits that season.
Smith was initially included in the cast of ABC's Dirty Sexy Money, but was replaced when she became a regular on another ABC series, Grey's Anatomy. Her portrayal of lesbian doctor Erica Hahn was short-lived, as her character was fired from Seattle Grace five episodes into the fifth season.
Smith is currently married to cinematographer Steve Lubensky. They have one daughter, and they recently adopted a baby girl from Ethiopia.
- She gained 25 pounds for her role as "roomy" Catharine Martin in The Silence of the Lambs.
- She once shared an apartment with Jeff Buckley before the recording of his album "Grace".
- She refused an epidural while she was in labor with her daughter Fanny for 78 hours.
- She adopted a baby girl from Ethiopia named Lucy Dinknesh Lubensky.
- She was originally cast as Andrea Smithson for the ABC series Dirty Sexy Money in its pilot episode, but was replaced by Sheryl Lee.
- The Moderns (1988)
- See You In The Morning (1989)
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- The Pickle (1993)
- The Night We Never Met (1993)
- Mr. Wonderful (1993)
- Vanya on 42nd Street (1994)
- Last Summer in the Hamptons (1995)
- Trees Lounge (1996)
- Kansas City (1996)
- The Broken Giant (1998)
- Random Hearts (1999)
- Eventual Wife (2000)
- Series 7: The Contenders (2001)
- The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
- For Earth Below (2002)
- Bad Company (2002)
- Melinda and Melinda (2004)
- Shooting Vegetarians (2005)
- In Her Shoes (2005)
- The Namesake (2006)
- To Each His Own Cinema (2007)
- The Aspern Papers (2010)
- Fair Game (2010)
- A Little Help (2010)
- Big Apple (recurring, 2001)
- Six Feet Under (recurring, 2004)
- Heist (recurring, 2006)
- Grey's Anatomy (regular, 2006-2008)
- Crossing Jordan (recurring, 2007)
- Weeds (recurring, 2007)
On gaining notoriety through Grey's Anatomy: "I'm anxious about losing anonymity. I keep asking Chyler Leigh, 'How's the supermarket?'"
On filming her torture scenes in The Silence of the Lambs: "I had bad dreams before shooting, but when we started, it was cathartic. I screamed so much, it was like primal therapy."
On the situation on the Grey's Anatomy set: "They got rid of bottled water. We got thermoses that say 'Grey's Anatomy Season 4' with our names on it. Cool."