Last night's premiere of The Next Food Network Star gave us plenty to wince at, with the chefs' first on-camera challenges in conjunction with twelve people desperate to make an impression. I've singled out five moments from the first episode that made me particularly embarrassed for the person(s) involved.
5. Upon seeing Serena, Wolfgang Puck asks if there is room on the Food Network for two Italian Princesses, to which Giada responds, "the more the merrier!" and uncomfortably claws at her head. I think we all know she didn't mean that.
4. Doreen is given thirty seconds to talk about her dish, so she talks for ten seconds, stumbles for ten, and finishes with, "and I love butter?" Most of the these dish intros were bad, but this one ended on a high note.
3. Props, props, props. For the Star Challenge, the contestants were given just enough props to hang themselves. Just say no to novelty sunglasses and pink rotary phones!
2. Herb does push-ups for Wolfgang Puck. We get it, you're a personal trainer! A desperate personal trainer. He's really glad he did it, though. Just ask him.
1. Paul "the improv guy." Aside from his extremely annoying use of the word "any-hoos," every interaction involving Paul went like this: "I do improv. Tons of it," "Really?"
Paul and his "improv background" need to exit stage left.
(images courtesy of Food Network)
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.