Isaiah Washington will be returning to Grey's Anatomy seven seasons after his character, Dr. Preston Burke, left Cristina (Sandra Oh) at the alter. His arrival at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital coincides with Oh's departure from the television series.
This weekend, Washington attended Wondercon in support of his new series, The 100, where he portrays a strong leader forced to make difficult decisions to preserve humanity.
During the interview, he discussed his return to Grey's in next week's "We Are Never Getting Back Together." He promises the episode will "blow your mind." Check out the full video interview below and highlights.
Isaiah Washington Interview
Highlights from the interview:
- "It's gonna blow your mind. You are not ready. You can't figure it out. You can't figure out, Shonda [Rhimes]. I don't know what she eats."
- "It is cold-blooded."
- "I'll give it to you straight, no chasing. Please don't be gettin' on black Twitter talking about spin-off. I"m not having it. I can't do it. They are not going to let me be a Heather Locklear. It ain't going to go down like that." "It's not going to work because of The 100."
- "When I read it, I said like, 'Now what? What? What? ... No one wanted to let Burke go six years and you're going to do people like this. How? How is that gonna work? ... I want to know how the world is going to respond to May 1."
- "Sandra Oh has to be probably one of the most extraordinary talents I've ever worked with."
- In the preview with Cristina (see below) that's Burke standing next to her.
- "It was a very bittersweet environment for those three days like doing a play."
- Back then ... "it was becoming BurTina and MerDer." "But now all is well. All is well. I don't think you guys will be disappointed."
Check out the "Farewell to Cristina" preview mentioned in Washington's interview.
Grey's Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9 pm ET on ABC. The 100 airs Wednesdays at 9 pm ET on the CW.
(Image and video: Carla Day)