The official countdown to the final season of Dexter
While it was widely assumed that the upcoming season -- the show's eighth -- would be its last, Showtime didn't confirm it until today. To go along with the announcement, a sneak peek into the premiere has been released. It gives us a window to where Dexter and Deb stand in their relationship.
Throughout its run, Dexter has garnered 25 Emmy and and 10 Golden Globe nominations while chronicling the killing of blood splatter analyst Dexter Morgan. At its best moments, Dexter is beautifully dark, which is weird to say about a show centered around a serial killer. While it's been argued the show has been going downhill, last season's cat-and-mouse game between Dexter and LaGuerta brought the show back to relevancy.
In last season's finale
, Deb found out Dexter is a serial killer after walking in on him about to kill their boss. In order to protect her brother, she killed LaGuerta, forever changing her and her relationship with her brother.
Since the season ended, one of the big unknowns would be how long the show jumps in time to pick up the story. The preview answers that.
Take a look at the clip (Warning: Strong language ahead):
What We Learn:
- It appears it's been weeks since LaGuerta's death and Deb hasn't returned any of Dexter's calls or messages.
- Because she's been ignoring him, Dexter sneaks up on his sister at the store.
- Deb missed LaGuerta's memorial. Dexter is surprised she wasn't there. Deb is surprised at Dexter's surprise.
- The latest case centers around jewelry?
- Deb picks up what could be a beer bottle -- but probably isn't -- and drinks it right in the store.
- Deb tells Dexter she hates him, that he made her compromise herself. He disagrees.
- Deb tells Dexter she shot the wrong person.
- Gluten-free Fruity Pebbles exist. Holy distracting product placements!
Dexter season 8 premieres Sunday, June 30 at 9pm on Showtime.
Don't miss the earlier-than-usual premiere of Dexter by adding it to your very own watch-list! Download the BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image and Video Courtesy of Showtime)