American Horror Story: Coven premieres in October on FX and we have a sneak peek at the show's opening credits. As usual with the American Horror Story anthology series, the main title sequence is creepy, freaky, and possibly even nightmare inducing.
American Horror Story: Coven takes a look at the witches that fled Salem and ended up in New Orleans. Though, not all witches are alike, the story will include two distinct types. This installment will have a strong feminist theme, while also addressing race, oppression, and a strong theme of family - especially between mothers and daughters.
Check out the AHS: Coven main title sequence and see how it fits the show's description.
Clues from the opening credits:
- Are the hooded and cloaked people witches? Those definitely aren't the witch outfits of Halloween with black pointed brim hats and capes.
- On Sarah Paulsen's title card it reads "Santisima Muerta" in the corner, which is Spanish for "Saint Death." And the image is representative of Santisima Muerta - the personification of death.
- The woman with the flowing skirt is reflected in shadow with what looks like bull.
- Taissa Farmigo's title card refers to "Spiritu Dominado"
- A woman sewing up a burlap doll.
- A bloodied and sewed up mouth?
- A horse
- A winged horned creature eating a person. What does this image represent?
- A stick figure in the forest.
- Uncomfortable and dangerous spiked high platform shoes.
- A goat and then goat skull with other bones and chalk symptoms on floor.
- An odd horse head.
- A woman raises her hood.
- Face spikes.
- The woman pokes a pin into the burlap doll.
- A witch with three hooded figures levitating behind her.
- A man with freaky eyes and grin.
- Woman screams as she burns the doll, which shifts to an image of a large bonfire burning someone at the stake.
- Women in flowing white dresses dance around the fire.
What do you make of these images? Does it make you want to watch the show even more?
American Horror Story: Coven stars: Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson, Frances Conroy, Gabourey Sidibe, Patti LuPone, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Lily Rabe and Emma Roberts.
American Horror Story: Coven premieres on Wednesday, October 9 at 10 pm ET.
Never miss American Horror Story: Coven! Add the show to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image and video courtesy of FX.)