American Horror Story: Coven started filming last week in New Orleans, so Executive Producer Tim Minear and the cast didn't have much information to share. They did provide some insight into the new witch installment of the anthology at the FX Television Critics Association Press Day.
Angela Bassett (Marie Laveau)
Kathy Bates (Madame LaLaurie)
Sarah Paulson (Cordelia / Fiona's Daughter)
Jessica Lange (Fiona / Cordelia's Mother)
Tim Minear (Executive Producer)
Highlights from the Panel:
- "It's just an actor's dream." Bassett on joining the renowned cast.
- Some actors play witches, while others play historical characters. The show will move back and forth in time, so it will encompass many different stories.
- "The fun quotient is higher this year. This year is a drama, but there is humor." - Minear
- As of now, there are no plans for Zachary Quinto to appear in this installment, but that doesn't mean that he won't still be cast for a role. It depends on his availability and where the story goes.
- AHS: Coven will deal with the issue of oppression on minorities of all kinds. And, minority groups that go after other minority groups which helps the majority. There's a feminist theme, but that's not the only one. Race, oppression, and strong theme of family, especially mothers and daughters will highlight this installment.
- Lange joked "I can only give out one a year." when asked about her friends wanting to be on the show, like Bates. When her friends say they want to be on the show, she forwards it to Ryan Murphy and Tim Minear.
- The City of New Orleans will play a huge part in the series. Lange explained, "It has a power and authenticity that is lacking from most places in this country now. There's a sense of history. ... When you are on the street there's something hypnotic and drug-like when you are there. To have this opportunity to work there is a great gift."
- The show will look at Salem and when those witches fled to the south. There will be two different types of witches on the show.
- Minear said, "Sure. I would." regarding whether or not it viewers should read into King Lear's Cordelia regarding Paulsen's character.
American Horror Story: Coven premieres in October on FX.
Never miss your favorite shows! Add them to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image courtesy of FX.)