Ty Burrell graduated with a theatre arts degree from Southern Oregon University, and later took an MFA from Pennsylvania State University. He began working odd jobs while in college, but he later progressed to acting in several Broadway productions, as well as in films such as Black Hawk Down and Dawn of the Dead.
Burrell joined the cast of the short-lived CBS sitcom Out of Practice in 2006, playing plastic surgeon Oliver Barnes. His next television stint, as a field reporter in Fox's Back to You -- where he appeared alongside Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton -- also lasted only one season. Television success came when he joined the cast of the ABC comedy Modern Family in 2009; his portrayal of fun-loving father Phil Dunphy earned him critical acclaim, and later, an Emmy Award.
Burrell also appeared in the films National Treasure: Book of Secrets and The Incredible Hulk, among others. He is currently married to Holly Burrell; the two have an adopted daughter.
- Ty is an avid fan of the Oregon Ducks, the Portland Trail Blazers and the New York Mets.
- Emmy Award, Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, 2011 (for Modern Family)
- Evolution (2001)
- Black Hawk Down (2001)
- Dawn of the Dead (2004)
- In Good Company (2004)
- Down in the Valley (2005)
- Friends with Money (2006)
- The Darwin Awards (2006)
- Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006)
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Leaves of Grass (2009)
- Fair Game (2010)
- Morning Glory (2010)
- Out of Practice (regular, 2005-2006)
- Back to You (regular, 2007-2008)
- Modern Family (regular, 2009-present)