Born into a musical family, Brandy was inspired to take up music at an early age. She struggled with getting an audition, but eventually got herself backing gigs and slots in talent shows, and ultimately, a record deal.
By the time her eponymous debut album was released, Brandy was already an experienced performer, having appeared in the short-lived ABC comedy Thea. The success of her debut led to another television show: the UPN series Moesha, which was a ratings success from its premiere in 1996 to its sudden cancellation six years later.
Brandy's musical career was in full swing, hitting its peak with her second album, Never Say Never. In it was a duet with Monica, "The Boy is Mine", which spent a record thirteen weeks on the Billboard charts, and led to her first Grammy win. Her next three albums - Full Moon, Aphrodisiac and Human - received varying reviews.
She also continued her acting career, appearing in the 1999 film I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, as well as on an MTV reality series. In 2006, she became a judge on NBC's America's Got Talent, a gig which she only held for one season, when she was involved in a car accident that resulted in one fatality. She recently appeared in ABC's Dancing with the Stars.
- Brandy is the elder sister of rapper Ray J, and the first cousin of rapper Snoop Dogg.
- Billboard Music Award, Best New R&B Artist, 1995
- Billboard Music Award, Best R&B Female, 1995
- Kids' Choice Award, Favorite Singer, 1995
- American Music Award, Favorite New Artist - Soul/R&B, 1996
- Kids' Choice Award, Favorite Singer, 1996
- Kids' Choice Award, Favorite Song, 1996 (for "Baby")
- NAACP Image Award, Outstanding New Artist, 1996
- NAACP Image Award, Outstanding Youth Actress in a Television Series, 1996 (for Moesha)
- NAACP Image Award, Outstanding Youth Actor/Actress, 1997 (for Moesha)
- MTV Movie Award, Best Movie Song, 1997 (for "Waiting to Exhale")
- MTV Europe Music Award, Favorite International Singer, 1998
- Grammy Award, Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, 1999 (for "The Boy Is Mine")
- NAACP Image Award, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, 1999 (for Moesha)
- Teen Choice Award, Choice Female Artist, 1999
- I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1999)
- Osmosis Jones (voice, 2001)
- Thea (regular, 1993-1994)
- Moesha (regular, 1996-2001)
- Cinderella (TV movie, 1997)
- Double Platinum (TV movie, 1999)
- One on One (guest, 2006)
- America's Got Talent (judge, 2006)
- Brandy and Ray J: A Family Business (2010)
- Dancing with the Stars (competitor, 2010)