Anthony Stewart Head graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, and made his professional debut in the musical Godspell. While he took several roles in British television productions, his first best known role was in a series of advertisements for Nescafe Gold Blend, as well as a stint in the children's drama Woof!
Head's best known role, however, came in 1996, when he was cast as Rupert Giles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He stayed until halfway through the sixth season, after which he appeared on a recurring basis. He later appeared in the BBC comedy Little Britain and an episode of the sci-fi series Doctor Who.
In 2008, Head joined the cast of the BBC series Merlin, where he plays King Arthur's father, Uther Pendragon. The following year he joined the Channel 4 comedy Free Agents, playing sex-obsessed talent agency boss Stephen; he reprised the role in the NBC remake of the show in 2011.
Head is married to Sarah Fisher, with whom he has two daughters.
- Lady Chatterley's Lover (1981)
- A Prayer for the Dying (1987)
- Devil's Hill (1988)
- I'll Be There (2003)
- Fat Slags (2004)
- Framing Frankie (2005)
- Imagine Me & You (2005)
- Scoop (2006)
- Sparkle (2007)
- Amelia and Michael (2007)
- Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
- The Inbetweeners Movie (2011)
- Howard's Way (regular, 1985)
- VR.5 (recurring, 1995-1997)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (regular, 1996-2003)
- Manchild (regular, 2002-2003)
- Little Britain (recurring, 2003-2006)
- Monarch of the Glen (recurring, 2004)
- Sold (regular, 2007)
- The Invisibles (regular, 2008)
- Merlin (regular, 2008-present)
- Free Agents (regular, 2009)
- Free Agents (regular, 2011-present)
"I think Giles likes Buffy, but she annoys him. The mere fact that she doesn't want the job that he's offering her -- she frustrates him. She represents everything he doesn't understand. Ultimately he becomes extremely fond of her. People have said, What is it? A father/daughter relationship? And it's not quite. There's nothing like it on TV. It's difficult to pigeonhole. He becomes extremely fond of her and gets into all sorts of terrible trouble because of it. ... Xander is complete anathema to him. A great annoyance because he never seems to take anything seriously. Cordelia is ... Who knows where she's coming from? Willow he respects greatly, but it's all a confusion to him. He's never really sure of anybody or anything. The only thing he is sure about is what he's supposed to do."