There are only a few things in this world we can depend on. Death. Taxes. Jon Stewart skewering a presidential candidate who makes a potentially career-ending statement on camera.
So obviously Jon Stewart had to talk about Mitt Romney's 47-percent statement on The Daily Show. What other choice did he have? And what other hilarious, insightful commentary would we want?
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.
Fortunately, we all -- whether we are job-creating Titans or 47-percenters wanting to destroy America -- live in a world in which Jon Stewart always comes through. On the September 18 episode of **The Daily Show, Jon Stewart devoted several minutes to laughing at Mitt Romney and his rather insane video comments at a benefit dinner.
The show begins by not referring directly to the issue, in the funniest possible way: "Our guest tonight is Salman Rushdie! I can't imagine which events currently in the news we'll be discussing..."
That's just the beginning. Watch it for yourself (because it's funnier than anything I could write) here!
Jon Stewart, being Jon Stewart, has to remind us of Mitt Romney's problems even before the newest footage. Things like Romney's rather endless presidential campaign, Clint Eastwood's chair and the Republican campaign's recent choice of a reboot.
he gets to the video footage of Mitt Romney referring to 47 percent of Americans as lazy moochers who will always vote for Obama just to keep not-working.
Or something like that. Honestly, I'm still not sure what Mitt Romney was talking about. That's probably because I'm not rich. Instead, I'm just a poor TV writer who -- despite never making more than 1/10 of what Romney considers to be middle-class -- has owed taxes in all but one year since the age of 16, even while being a college student on financial aid, a Peace Corps volunteer, a graduate student and an unemployed person with no benefits.
Not that I'm bitter about this kind of thing or anything.
Anyway, what gems does Jon Stewart have about Mitt Romney on this one?
- Mr. Burns! With his "Release the hounds..." line! (One of my favorites, spoken by me every morning when I let the dogs out)
- "Suck from the teat of the bootstrap of the job-creating... teat-having... boot-teat..."
- Is Mitt Romney more personable than a 1993 Chrysler LeBaron? Maybe? I don't know cars.
- A family of five making $50,000 per year -- the amount of money required to attend Mitt Romney's dinner -- pays no additional income tax (just payroll taxes).
- People making less than $20,000 per year... Obviously these are freeloaders! (For the record, the author of this article, who has a PhD from an Ivy-League university, has only made more than $20,000 per year in 2007, 2008 and 2011).
- Grandma doesn't pay taxes. Unless she's rich, like all good grandmas.
- Mitt Romney's father was on welfare for a year. Therefore, Mitt couldn't get Dad's vote.
That's all. That's all for one clip, anyway. There is little chance that Jon Stewart will ignore this in the future. And we wouldn't want him to.
Did Jon Stewart go too far? Should he have gone further? How much comedy can TV people get out of this one video? Leave your comments below!Want to know more about Laurel Brown, the obviously biased, proudly over-educated author of this piece? Find her on Twitter at twitter.com/really_mzungu. Sometimes she even talks about TV there
.(Images and video courtesy of Comedy Central)