Sons of Anarchy returns in just over a month and the premiere is brutal. At the FX Television Critics Association Press Day (TCAs), Kurt Sutter, Paris Barclay, Charlie Hunnam, and Katey Sagal spoke about the upcoming season 6.
Spoiler alert: This article contains mild spoilers, but no major plot points are revealed.
Charlie Hunnam (Jax)
Katey Sagal (Gemma)
Paris Barclay (Executive Producer)
Kurt Sutter (Executive Producer)
Highlights from the Panel:
- Kim Dickens (Deadwood, Friday Night Lights) is joining the cast. Sutter didn't seek out her out for the role. The character was cast to a wide range of races and ages. Sutter thought she was a good fit for the role. She plays a madam and interacts with Jax and Nero.
- Sutter wants "a TV show with solid story."
- Sutter called Otto his "anti-Dorian Gray." "It's become a little absurd what bad things have happened." And, it will only get worse in the season 6 premiere as Sutter said, "When I feel like I'm being f*cked in the ass by someone, I can put it on the screen."
- Hunnam on his love of motorcycles," I had a very vague relationship with motorcycles before the show." He described riding as, "You smell the flowers and smell the garbage. And, try not to get killed by a Prius. It's fun."
- Sutter on the new Sons of Anarchy graphic novels, "I'm very pleased with the drafts that I've seen." The novels will include secondary characters that will share narrative paths with the show and include other characters. The stories will live in a "parallel universe."
- Sagal on her character of Gemma, "She's in a new family situation. Her intention is to keep her family together. That's always been her intention. She's wiser. She was manipulated by her son by moving that piece with Clay. .... Gentle. That's a dangerous word to use for her. Gentler and wiser."
- There will be a shocker to end the season premiere. It's a story that Sutter has wanted to do for three years and he hopes that it's not spoiled for fans. It's sets up for a storyline that deals with mental illness, neglected family life, violence in the name of God, illegal gun trade, and limits of law enforcement. So many factors go into creating the situation.
- "There's a lot of blood and guts in my show. It's a signature of the show. Nothing is done gratuitously. Events in premiere are the catalyst in the third act of story being told." - Sutter
- Most season 6 episodes will run from 75-90 minutes.
- Sutter said that he has a general idea for how the series will end, but that could easily change. Then, joked, "Otto getting out of jail."
Sons of Anarchy season 6 premieres on Tuesday, September 10 at 10 pm ET on FX.
Never miss Sons of Anarchy! Add the show to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image courtesy of FX.)