It hasn't even yet been a full week since the series premiere of Cult
, and when I was watching the clips of Kelly and Billy for Tuesday's episode "In the Blood," I had forgotten that they're not the characters of Cult
, but the characters of Cult
, the show within the show.
So as a refresher: Jeff and Skye: Stars in Cult. The one that airs on The CW. At 9pm. We tune into this show.
Kelly and Billy: Stars in Cult within Cult. Airs on The CW. At a time we have yet been told. Jeff tunes into this, while Skye works for it. We get to see what they're watching.
Alright, let's try not to forget that ever again!
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.
In Tuesday's episode, Stacy Farber, from Degrassi: The Next Generation,
makes a guest appearance as a tech specialist trying to find his brother. Last episode
, we saw that the secret CD Jeff found in his brother's notebook kinda took over his laptop. Jeff's driver's license started appearing on screen for no reason, among other things.
Here's the official episode description, courtesy of The CW:
Jeff enlists tech-savvy E.J. to help is his search for his brother Nate. Skye finally reveals to Jeff that she took the researcher job on "Cult" to learn more about Steven Rae. Meanwhile, at the production office, associate producer Peter Grey brushes off Skye's concerns that some of the "Cult" fans believe there are hidden messages embedded in the show. On the television show, Kelly and Paz discover a body buried vertically, and Kelly believes that this might be a message from Billy.
Check out the trailer and then the two extended clips, which explain the trailer a bit further. Remember: All of these clips have to do with the television show within Cult, not the show we are actually watching in the present.
What we can decipher from the preview:
- An upside down burial is an initiation into Billy's cult.
- Or rather, Billy calls it a "family."
- Billy says he doesn't kill. Of course he doesn't, since his followers do the killing for him.
- It's something that Kelly should know better than anyone, Billy whispers into Kelly's ear. What does that mean?
- Jeff has his hands up as a gun is put in his face. What kind of trouble is he into now?
- A dark-haired woman runs up to Billy in an open field -- I think it's meant to look like Skye but it could be anyone. I don't quite picture her in a dress at this point.
This second clip is a scene where Billy shows up to the crime scene of a man found buried there, and we can all assume by the upside down burial.
The main points from the scene:
- It appears the upside down burial serves two purposes in Billy's cult: Not just as an initiation but also as punishment. Kelly can discern that the man betrayed Billy since, well, he was found dead. The question is how was Billy betrayed by the man?
- Billy ignores the question by telling her she looks tired and must be overworked. I don't know about you, but she doesn't really look tired to me!
- Kelly has secrets. Big ones. She hasn't committed murder but she "did things" for Billy! What sort of things could they be? Was she still a detective when she did things for him? Obviously they are things against the law. Did she hide evidence? Tell him details to certain cases?
- Billy is using whatever Kelly did against her, but she's quick to say she there's no proof she did anything wrong. Billy says there's no proof he did anything wrong either. Touche.
And finally, I purposefully put this clip last even though it comes before Kelly and Billy's chat. I want you to come up with your own theories as to how Kelly might be involved in Billy's web of cult-ness. We know she blames Billy's cult for her sister's kidnapping. Did she go too far?
This clip also includes a flashback from seven years ago:
- Kelly is called at the scene of the crime, and then has a flashback, where it clearly looks like someone is being held upside down, just above water. The body is pulled up ...
- And it's Kelly! Kelly was in the cult! What? How? Why? So many questions! Was it before she became a detective or after? I am assuming before, and whatever happened with her is what made her want to become a cop. But how did she manage to leave the cult without getting herself killed? Does Billy have grander plans for her?
- Back in the present, Kelly's positive Billy's behind the killing. Not only that, it's a message -- for her.
Cult airs at 9pm Tuesdays on The CW.
(Image and Video courtesy of The CW)