American Idol: Top 4 Live Results
American Idol: Top 4 Live Results
A good singer will go home tonight on American Idol.  Will it be Blake LewisLakisha Jones?  Will we get a shocker like last year and see one of the favorites (Melinda Doolittle, Jordin Sparks) hit the road.  Barry Gibb will perform something, and Ryan Seacrest will give us the results.  Other than that, expect a lot of filler, a cheesy commercial featuring the four singers, and whole lot of commercials.

What follows are my live thoughts while watching the episode.  If you want up to the minute results, this is your place.  Also, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.  We'll be publishing the best comments in a separate article later tonight.

Blake Lewis is wearing a tuxedo t-shirt.  Really, Blake?

Anyway, we are live from Hollywood.

Apparently, Jessica Alba is in the audience.  God, I hope so.

Ryan disses both Paula and Simon, by saying that Paula (who is sporting some cleavage) has less to work with in that area (the chest) than Simon.  Kind of funny, Ryan.

Recap of last night.  They stretch this out for awhile, because they need to fill an hour.

Ryan hits the Farmer's Market to talk to people on the street about the show.  Hey, random people have opinions too.  A couple of ladies made fun of "the Paula clap".  Okay, I chuckled.

Seacrest says "You can tell we have an hour to fill tonight." Seriously, FOX, we can do this in a half-hour.  There's playoff basketball to watch.

Whoa, Pink will be performing tonight.  As long as she doesn't sing that horrendous NBC Sunday Night Football song I'll be okay.

We get a promo for the Idol tour.  Sanjaya is prominently featured.  I don't think I'll be attending.

Pink hits the stage to sing "Who Knew?"  I sure didn't.

Pink is wearing a synthetic zebra dress.  She is wearing no pink that I can see.

She is a better live singer than I expected, but the song was just okay.

Another commercial.  Nothing interesting has happened yet.

This is the worst Idol commercial yet.  The four singers run from a horde of schoolchildren.  Why?  I'm not sure.  In the background, the worst possible version of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" is played.  Yes, worse than Sanjaya's rendition.

The four singers come out to sing a tribute to the songs of Barry Gibb. Blake looks like he doesn't know his words.   It's a medley.  I love how they've gotten away from any real choreography.

Everyone is pretty relaxed up there, knowing they're not singing for their lives.  Somewhat enjoyable.

Bill Maher is in the crowd.  If that means anything to you.

This whole Diet Coke Plus thing is confusing.

Ryan sits down and talks to the contestants.  He points out all of their faults, pretty much.

Cross-promotion!  The singers got to see a sneak preview of the second Fantastic Four film.  This one has the Silver Surfer.  That was silly.

The real cast of the Fantastic Four is here.  That means Jessica Alba is here too.  And The Commish himself, Michael Chiklis.

The top three will get to go home and film a segment.  Tonight, the contestants talk about their childhoods.  They tell cute anecdotes and we see pictures of them as kids.

We'll get results after the break.

The final four are huddled in the mass, embracing and refuse to let themselves go.

Man, are we going to get these results a few minutes early?

Jordin is safe.

Barry Gibb will be performing before we get any more results.

Wow, Barry Gibb's voice is almost totally shot.  His mane of hair is now totally gray, which is kind of cool.  What's not cool is how downhill his voice has gone.  You can't blame him; the man's been around forever.

One last commercial, and then we will get the final results.

And, here we go.  The results.

Melinda is safe.  Not a surprise.

Simon thinks Lakisha will get the boot.

Paula rambles a bit.

LAKISHA JONES HAS BEEN ELIMINATED.

Not a big surprise, but I'm sure a disappointing result for a lot of viewers.

-Oscar Dahl, BuddyTV Senior Writer

(Note: We lost the comments for this article, so we added them in the actual article below.)

princessp said: I believe that it will Blake or Lakisha going home. There performances were really not that good.
(texas) 5/9/2007 6:10:34 PM
Andrew said: Jordin is amazing and I think she is a show in to win the whole comp. I have to wonder if simon will apolgize tonight to Jordin and tell her that her last song was actually amazing like eevryone at home though it was. I hope Melinda goes home. We are over her and Jordin will be a success!
(Fort collins colorado) 5/9/2007 6:15:17 PM
chi said: not to take anything away from the ladies because they are fabulous singers in their own right, but i just hope blake doesnt get kicked off. he's just really refreshing and entertaining; i'd like to see more of him in the following weeks
(asia) 5/9/2007 6:20:03 PM
Keith said: I hope that Melinda wins! She has the most trained voice of the bunch. Jordin is a close second...but I sometimes feel that she forces her vibrato way too much. Go Melinda! Can't wait for the album!
(Redwood City California) 5/9/2007 6:34:31 PM
princessp said: I agree with Keith 100%, Melinda is the best vocalist of them all. The other singers are not in her league. I like Jordin too but she needs more experience.
(texas) 5/9/2007 6:44:13 PM
Triskele1080 said: LaKisha seems nervous...and she should be. She has a great voice, but I never feel any personality coming from her. Every time we see her on camera, she has dead eyes. (If that makes sense.) Even though he didn't do well last night, I'm really hoping Blake stays, because he seems to be the only contestant that understands current music! Though I do like Jordin as well, despite the fact that the show is obviously pimping her : )
5/9/2007 6:44:40 PM
Medusa said: Why did the commentary stop? Who is in the bottom two?
(SF) 5/9/2007 7:00:22 PM
chi said: jordin is safe
(asia) 5/9/2007 7:02:45 PM
chi said: melinda is safe
(asia) 5/9/2007 7:03:56 PM
Triskele1080 said: WooHoo! Blake is staying! (Yes, I know I'm too old to be a fangirl..)
5/9/2007 7:05:10 PM
attw said: it's lakisha... lakisha's out. blake lives to fight another day, yay!
(malaysia) 5/9/2007 7:08:41 PM
Stephanie said: I appreciate the play by play. I just wanted the results, not all of the fluff. It was perfect just the way you wrote it. -Thanks!
5/9/2007 7:10:18 PM
Marianne said: Bill Maher! Oh, and I'm glad Blake will get another week in which to redeem himself for last night's mediocrity. Next week is likely his last on American Idol.
5/9/2007 7:11:57 PM
chi said: Yey for Blake! It could indeed be Melinda and Jordin at the last hurdle, but I really don't care much for who wins it. I just like to see Blake perform some more. If he does get to the final two, then even better.
(asia) 5/9/2007 7:13:44 PM
Juju said: I think Melinda and Jordin are better singers than Blake, but after the show ends I'm only interested in downloading Blake's songs. I hope he stays longer because it's just nice to watch him perform. Honestly, it doesn't really matter who wins now. The 3 of them are great and we're going to hear a lot more about them - Chris Daughtry, anyone?
(MA) 5/9/2007 7:31:34 PM
Break Louis said: A good job, Blake. Looking forward to seeing the next week show with homecoming. He has made an american dream comes true - a small guy from a small town has become bigger than any other guys in the nation. Almost sure that it would be his last next week, but he has already done enough to be an "idol" and had his future in hands! Great job done.
5/9/2007 8:02:36 PM
Mitch said: All I have to say is.....I TOLD YOU SO, I TOLD YOU SO, I TOLD YOU SO!! This is what I predicted yesterday :) (see my comments on top 4 performances grades thread)
5/9/2007 8:12:53 PM