Question: what is better than a Lady Gaga broadway style mash-up and Sue Sylvester’s scathing hatred of Will Schuester? Answer: nothing. But almost as good as that was Glee‘s debut at Comic-Con this year.
The panel included producer Ryan Murphy and several of William Mckinley High’s finest: Chris Colfer (who plays Kurt Hummel), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), and Heather Morris (Brittany. No last name. Kind of like Madonna.)
The discussion centered around Season 2–specifically what’s changing. For starters, minor characters–like Artie, Tina, and Brittany–will play more substantial parts this season. The hope is that viewers will be able to connect more with characters we’re used to seeing on the sidelines. And on the musical front, there are a couple of “tributes” planned as well as a reduction in musical numbers per episode (five instead of eight.)
Other conversation topics were as wide-ranging as Sue Sylvester’s one-liners. Here are the highlights for all you Gleeks:
- Chris (on the “fag” scene): This episode was really great; the first time a lot of people have watched a scene like that on TV.
- Kevin (on Artie’s mall dance): I was nervous because I left the chair. It felt like “cheating” until I got used to it. It was crazy to be a part of that.
- Jenna (on vampires): I’m more of a Vampire Diaries sort of girl.
- Heather (on her favorite Brittany one-liner): “Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?”
- Naya Rivera (on Santana liking the Glee kids and still working for Sue): I think she likes the Glee kids, but she’s a bitch. That’s who she is.
- Ryan Murphy (on the Madonna episode): Yes, we will do another episode, but we’re not sure when. Most shows are 8-9 days. This episode was 12 to 13 days and went over budget early on. We had a ball doing it. The Vogue video alone took an entire day. Also, 80 percent of the props in that were original props.
- Kevin (on the Kiss episode): l’ve never felt taller in my entire life.
And of course, what would a good panel be without a few spoilers for the coming season? :
- Tina will fall out of love with Artie and in love with Mike.
- Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel will be returning
- There will be a Britney Spears episode; fitting considering Mr. Shu has never wanted to do a Britney number
- Kurt will have a boyfriend. Ryan Murphy makes the point that he wants Kurt to be happy and secure in a place where he and his boyfriend can be “prom kings”
- We will meet Artie’ s mother as well as Rachel’s gay dads.
- An episode about religion is currently in the works. Kurt will go with Mercedes to her church.
Tune into all of this (and more) when season 2 kicks off Tuesday, September 21st on FOX.