Mary Winchester is back and that brings a mix of emotions to Supernatural season 12, as Jensen Ackles previewed at San Diego Comic-Con. BuddyTV also got the scoop on when the new season picks up and how it’s getting back to the basics.
Supernatural Season 12 Spoilers: Back to the Basics and the Return of Mary Winchester>>>
Watch the video interview with Jensen Ackles:
Here are the highlights:
- “There’s a lot of mixed emotions” for Dean having his mother back. “He’s confused, he’s excited, but you have to remember, she’s a stranger to him and he’s a stranger to her.”
- Mary’s going to have to adjust to life 30+ years later, and that includes things like modern technology and the fact that her sons are doing exactly what “she tried so desperately to get out of when she was alive”: hunting.
- “There’s going to be some tension, there’s going to be some emotion,” to having Mary back. “Sure, there’s joy, but there’s a lot of hesitancy there too because now she’s also another avenue to get at the brothers. Something happens to her… There’s vulnerability that comes with her presence.”
- When the season begins, Dean doesn’t know that the London chapter of the Men of Letters have gotten their hands on Sam and Sam doesn’t know that Dean’s alive. Sam’s thinking his brother’s not coming for him, and Dean’s expecting to show up at the bunker with, “Hey, Mom’s back.” That’s where the new season picks up, and “then it very quickly becomes Liam Neeson from Taken.”
- They’re going to be “getting back to the basis of what Supernatural is.” Eventually Sam and Dean are reunited (though he hadn’t read that script yet), and “it’ll get back to them taking cases, driving down the road, listening to rock music and hunting things that go bump in the night,” Ackles previewed. “There are obviously these added elements of the Men of Letters, Mom, Lucifer’s running wild, so it’ll tricky to navigate.”
- While Dean would like to do something more final with whatever the supernatural world is, “it’s what he knows, so he’s going to go back to doing what he does best.”
Supernatural season 12 premieres Thursday, October 13 at 9pm on the CW.
(Image: Meredith Jacobs)