Play by his rules or sit on the bench.
Leroy Jethro Gibbs has about 50 rules that he teaches his team. Even though they aren’t written down Tony DiNozzo can tick them off pretty well. If you want to be on the team you’ve got to learn the rules.
Sometimes one number is assigned to two different rules. There are gaps. Presumably Gibbs will fill those in when needed.
Here are the rules Gibbs has shared so far and the episodes they’re from.
1. Never let suspects stay together–“Yankee White”
Never screw over your partner–“Blowback”
2. Always wear gloves at a crime scene–“Yankee White”
3. Don’t believe what you’re told. Double check–“Yankee White”
Never be unreachable–“Deception”
4. Best way to keep a secret, keep it to yourself. The second-best is to tell one other person if you must. There is no third-best–“Blowback”
6. Never say you’re sorry, it’s a sign of weakness–“Flesh and Blood”
7. Always be specific when you lie–“Reveille”
8. Never take anything for granted–“Probie”
9. Never go anywhere without a knife–“One Shot, One Kill”, “Missing”, “Probie”
11. When the job is done, walk away–“Semper Fidelis”
12. Never date a coworker–“Enigma”
13. Never, ever involve lawyers–“Collateral Damage”
15. Always work as a team–“Leap of Faith”
18. It’s better to seek forgiveness than ask permission–“Silver War”
22. Never, ever bother Gibbs in interrogation–“Smoked”
23. Never mess with a Marine’s coffee if you want to live–“Forced Entry”
27. Two ways to tail; First way they never notice you. Second way they ONLY notice you–“Jack Knife”
38. Your case, your lead–“Bounce”
Not all the rules are stringently adhered to.
Gibbs has broken ‘Never say you’re sorry’ a few times.
He apologized to Ducky for waiting to see him when he returned from Mexico. He told Kaitlin Todd he was sorry for being late to her funeral. He apologized to his ex-mother-in-law for not being there to protect his wife and daughter.
‘Never, ever involve a lawyer.’ Does that apply to M. Allison Hart?
‘Never date a co-worker’ might have been created after Gibbs and the late Jenny Shepard became involved. Do you think all of Gibbs’ team will be following that one?
I guess some rules are made to be broken. However you’d better learn them if you want to be part of Gibbs’ team. Unless you just like being slapped on the back of your head. In that case get a helmet.
-Jacky Jackman, BuddyTV Fan Columnist
(Image courtesy of CBS)