Oliver Queen is going to have a lot on his plate when Arrow season 5 begins. He’s Mayor of Star City, and he and Felicity were the only members of the team left after Diggle reenlisted and Thea decided she needed to figure out a few things with everything she’s been through. So how is he going to handle it? BuddyTV found out just that and more from Stephen Amell at San Diego Comic-Con.
Here are the highlights:
- Oliver is “a garbage mayor.” He’s doing “a really bad job,” Amell admitted. Because there is no team, he’s out there on his own as Green Arrow, with no time left for him to be mayor, so his responsibilities fall on Thea.
- There’s going to be a flashback in the premiere to something that happened to Oliver during the first four seasons and it “explains some things.”
- He’d like to see the goatee at some point.
- If the show is going to keep going past season 5 and have a second life, Amell thinks it will be in large part due to James Bamford, who is directing the first two episodes of the season.
- Oliver thinks the new vigilantes are “garbage” and “not ready.” He doesn’t want to use them. Felicity wants a new team, while Oliver wants the old team and Diggle and Thea to come back. A lot of the early part of season 5 is wrestling with the idea of whether or not they’re ever going to.
- Oliver and Felicity are “very much partners.” They’re the remaining members of the team at the moment. They have a “heated disagreement” in the first episode, and Amell likes how they played it. They each had their opinion, hashed it out and went from there. “I think they’re in a really good place.”
- Cody Rhodes plays a villain, and they fight.
- The Bratva flashbacks are “very cool so far.” They do pick up in Russia, with Oliver on the hunt for the individual that he promised he would take care of for the girl from last year’s flashbacks.
Arrow season 5 premieres Wednesday, October 5 at 8pm on the CW.
(Image: Meredith Jacobs)