Date Of Birth
April 26, 1977
Before becoming an actor, Tom Welling worked in construction. He had prior experience in acting, though, appearing in high school plays before focusing on sports. He moved to Los Angeles in 1998, when a scout spotted him and encouraged him to take up modeling.
That career didn’t satisfying him as much, so he decided to pursue an acting career. His first on-screen role was a recurring stint on the TV series Judging Amy, which received strong fan reviews. His biggest break came in 2001, when he was selected among thousands to play Clark Kent in the television series Smallville. It earned him two Teen Choice Awards, in 2002 and 2009. The role also led to slots in the Cheaper by the Dozen films and the 2005 remake of The Fog.
Welling has recently transitioned to working behind the scenes. He made his directorial debut through a 2006 episode of Smallville. He became the show’s executive producer in its tenth and final season; he also holds the same role in another CW series, Hellcats.
Welling has been married to model Jamie White since 2002.
Place of Birth
Putnam Valley, NY
Thomas John Patrick Welling
– At the CW launch Tom joked that he was a much better golfer than Jensen Ackles. Jensen joked back by saying Tom should start wearing tights and nicknamed him “Tommy-tights.”
– Tom was in the music video “Picture Perfect” by Angela Via. He and Angela shared a kiss at the end of the music video.
– Welling initially worked in construction before becoming a model, and later an actor.
– In high school, he played varsity soccer and was cast as Joseph/Josephine in their production of “Some Like It Hot”.
– Teen Choice Award, Choice TV: Male Breakout Star, 2002 (for Smallville)
– Teen Choice Award, Choice TV Actor: Action Adventure, 2009 (for Smallville)
2001-2011: Clark Kent/Bizarro/…
2005: Cheaper by the Dozen 2 – Charlie Baker
2005: The Fog – Nick Castle
2003: Cheaper by the Dozen – Charlie Baker
2001: Undeclared (TV series) – Tom
2001: Special Unit 2 (TV series) – Male Victim
2001: Judging Amy (TV series) – Rob Meltzer
“To me, from the beginning, this show has always been about Clark before Superman. And for me, flying then brings you into the realm of Superman. I find it much more interesting to concentrate on the development of this character and show you what happened in his life to make him become this Superman that we all know him to be.”
“You know one of the things about going from modeling to acting is it’s so much more fulfilling. With modeling, you get your picture taken, which is great, good for you, you know? But in acting, you’re able to reach in and show a little bit more of yourself.”