If you’re into hilarious TV shows, you’ll find “Joe Pera Talks With You” riveting and memorable. This comedy television series is simple and wholesome. No wonder it garnered a rating of 8.9 out of 10 on IMDb. And on Google, it boasts an impressive 4.7-star rating. Pundits loved the series for its unique tone and the lack of irony or cynicism in what Joe says.
In this article, you’ll learn about the television series seasons and episodes, Joe’s role in the show, the best places to watch it, and the filming location. On top of that, we talk about what you can expect from BuddyTV, a popular entertainment news site.
Where Can You Catch “Joe Pera Talks With You?”
Right now, you can catch the show’s 32 episodes on HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, iTunes, and Google Play. But it’s not on Netflix yet. BuddyTV will keep you updated if that changes.
What Is “Joe Pera Talks With You” About?
This comedy TV series takes you on a hilarious ride as you take a glimpse into the life and personality of Joe Pera’s fictional version. Living in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Joe is a middle school choir teacher who addresses you (the viewer) directly about everyday matters like sleeping and fall drives.
Joe certainly knows how to deliver something more daring — yet sober and wholesome. It’s no wonder many people find the show fascinating. He’s just lovable and awkward in equal measure and tends to mumble and ramble as he does his thing. The teacher will calm and delight you at the same time with his mannerisms. You can expect impromptu lessons on things you take for granted, like cooking beans or the rat wars of Alberta.
Watching this show will most likely evoke feelings of kind-heartedness, thanks to Pera’s caring and considerate way of doing things. Beyond that, Joe is fond of his grandmother, breakfast, trips to the grocery store, and beans. He’s undoubtedly happy with his life. One of his greatest passions is talking to you (the viewer) in a hushed tone as if he’s unpacking some closely guarded secrets.
Although he talks about how to do different day-to-day things, Pera doesn’t lecture. Instead, he prefers a more poetic approach, shedding some light on his experiences from a vulnerable position. On top of that, you learn about other folksy people in Pera’s life. As he talks about things and people around him, don’t expect to hear about bad attitudes, anxieties, and other problems most people fret about.
Joe Pera and His Guest
In his world, you’ll find Gene Gibson (Gene Kelly, his closest friend), Sarah Conner (Jo Firestone, a colleague at the middle school), Mike Melsky (Conner O’Malley, a neighbor), and Sue Melsky (Jo Scott, Mike’s wife). Joe is the calmest and weirdest of the lot. When he shares his thoughts about problems faced by other people, his position is typically peripheral but empathetic. On the other hand, Sarah suffers from anxiety while Joe’s neighbors grapple with marital issues.
Overall, the show brings a refreshing wholesomeness and calmness. After watching it, you may start noticing the smallest things around you. At the same time, there are a lot of experimental jokes and even anti-humor.
“Joe Pera Talks With You” moves at a slower pace in tandem with his quiet life. So, expect shorter episodes that generate an emotional arc throughout the season.
Where Does “Joe Pera Talks With You” Take Place?
Filming takes place in Milwaukee and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. A brick house on Milwaukee River Parkway in Glendale hosted the filming crew for some episodes, and each episode has a runtime of 11 minutes.
About Joe Pera
Born on July 24, 1988, Joe is a talented actor, writer, and comedian. He’s a co-producer of the show alongside Marty Schousboe, Jo Firestone, and Keith Crofford. Pera took film classes at Ithaca College, honing his stand-up comedy and acting skills. After graduating from the school in 2010, he pursued comedy in popular New York joints. Back then, Joe stood out from other comedians with his laidback delivery.
Later, he showcased creative skills by creating the Adult Swim infomercial “Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep.” The informercial’s title reflected Pera’s laidback comedy style. He went on to appear on several talk shows: “Late Night with Seth Meyers,” “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” and “Conan.”
The success of Joe’s infomercial and stand-alone productions led to the creation of “Joe Pera Talks With You.” In 2017, the talented actor and comedian appeared as Jim in the movie “Snow Bing Bong Across the North Star Combat Zone.”
Soft-spoken Pera sets the tone for the show with his thoughtfulness and gentle approach. His way of doing things acts as a balm in a highly stressful world. Joe talks about his experiences in a dreamy, captivating way. There’s a surreal element to the monologues, thanks to the show’s background music.
Another thing that stands out about “Joe Pera Talks With You” is the apparent honesty. Also, you’re sure to notice how it focuses on the small details about life in the town of Marquette in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Then there’s Joe’s fascination with everything. Entire episodes focus on things like church announcements, the second fridge tradition in the Midwest, growing a bean arch for the first time, and even the obituary page in local newspapers. The monologues are like a series of small dioramas.
How Many Seasons and Episodes of “Joe Pera Talks With You” Are There?
The Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim aired 32 episodes over three seasons before the show got canceled. “Joe Pera Talks With You” aired between May 2018 and December 2021.
In the first season, Pera met his girlfriend and workmate, Sarah, a staunch survivalist. As the two got to know each other better, Joe discovered that she was paranoid about bad things happening. So, she stays well prepared for any eventualities. During this season, Joe grapples with the reality that the world can be a scary, hard place. This realization goes against his optimistic view of life.
During the second season, Pera is dealing with a loss in the family following his grandma’s demise. This real-life event helped shape the second season’s premise as Joe dealt with the loss. Producers believed that he’d cope better with the grief by allowing Pera to talk about the matter.
As for the third season, Joe is busy helping people around him handle everyday tasks. In one episode, he went out of his way to help Gene find the perfect chair for retirement. He wanted the chair to help Gene relax and reflect on his life while watching TV. At the same time, Pera realized that he got most of his chairs from others. And he yearned to choose his own chairs.
Now, let’s look at individual episodes.
- “Joe Pera Shows You Iron” (S1. Ep. 1). Pera shares information about the minerals and rocks found at his home in Michigan. However, he’s also thinking about the likelihood of selling the property.
- “Joe Pera Takes You on a Fall Drive” (S1. Ep. 3). Joe goes on his annual fall drive and finally dumps his jack-o-lantern.
- “Joe Pera Talks You Back to Sleep” (S1. Ep. 5). He talks about practical ways to fall asleep after thunder wakes you.
- “Joe Pera Reads You The Church Announcements” (S1. Ep.6). Pera gets distracted by a song while reading church announcements.
- “Joe Pera Has a Surprise for You” (S2. Ep. 9). Joe invites neighbors and friends to participate in a $115 scavenger hunt. He then learns that Nana has passed away.
- “Joe Pera Sits with You” (S3. Ep. 1). Gene gets Joe to help choose the right chair. In the end, Pera thinks of his chair collection at home.
- “Joe Pera Shows You How to Build a Fire” (S3. Ep. 2). Sarah is feeling paranoid about something bad happening. Because of that, she leaves the house and goes camping in the woods with Pera.
- “Joe Pera Shows You His Second Fridge” (S3. Ep. 3). Pera plans to talk about the traditional mid-west second fridge. However, he abandons the plan after local youths disturb him.
- “Joe Pera Listens to Your Drunk Story” (S3. Ep. 4). Sarah goes for a wine night at a friend’s house after Sue Melsky invites her. Later, she tells Joe about how the event went.
- “Joe Pera Discusses School-Appropriate Entertainment with You” (S3. Ep. 5). Pera is planning to congratulate students on their good performance with a movie but finds it difficult to get his hands on a new movie.
Other Notable Episodes
Other notable episodes you should consider watching include:
- “Joe Pera Takes You for a Flight” (S3. Ep. 6)
- “Joe Pera Shows You How to Keep Functioning in Mid-Late Winter” (S3. Ep. 7)
- “Joe Pera Talks with You About Legacy” (S3. Ep. 8)
- “Joe Pera Helps You Write” (S2. Ep. 10)
- “Pera Talks With You About Legacy” (S3. Ep. 8)
- “Joe Pera Builds a Chair with You” (S3. Ep. 9)
Learn More About Your Favorite Movies and Shows on BuddyTV
Staying tuned to entertainment news is a surefire way to get the latest information about your favorite shows and movies. Thankfully, there’s a platform you can rely on – BuddyTV. This entertainment news site has all you need to enjoy a universal guide experience. You’re sure to like what you see from movie reviews and in-depth guides to actor tidbits.
Now, it’s time to put your finger on the pulse by checking out BuddyTV today.