Ready for the scoop on The Originals Season 2? We went to those in the know to get answers about what will be going on with our favorite Original family when the show returns. Executive Producer Julie Plec and Co-Executive Producer Michael Narducci didn’t hold back much when teasing the upcoming season.
“New Orleans has been shaken to the core,” said Plec. The Vampires have been exiled from New Orleans, the Original family is holed up in their compound, and the witches and werewolves are controlling the city.
[Video] ‘The Originals’ at Comic-Con 2014: First Look at Season 2, Klaus’ Daddy Issues and Returning Characters
Plec and Narducci discussed the new political battles, the ramifications of hiding the baby, new characters, the return of the Original parents and one of their sons, Hayley’s transformation into a hybrid, and much more.
Watch their interviews below or check out the highlights.
Julie Plec Interview
Highlights from the interview:
- The Vampires have been decimated and those who are still alive are on the other side of the river in exile with Marcel.
- The Originals are locked up in their compound supposedly in grief over the loss of the baby.
- The wolves have the moonlight rings and are under Francesca’s control and still have an alliance with the witches.
- The witch, Cassie, who is really someone else and then a “man who called her mother” have returned from the other side.
- Daniel Sharman will play the “Delightfully obnoxious, charming and wildly handsome Caleb” who “takes a liking to Davina and who has a few secrets of his own.”
- Esther and Mikael don’t know about each other within the first five episodes.
- Michael Narducci is writing an episode that tells the story of Esther and Mikael’s love story and what turned Mikael into “a monstrous man” and Esther into the woman she became.
- Davina continues to hold Mikael in the church attic under her control. He’s tries to figure out a way to get out of the situation. Their relationship with be similar to Game of Thrones’ Arya and the Hound.
- The collapse of “the Other Side” is why Esther was able to return and bring “her son” back with her.
- “It’s now or never. We’re either bringing a brother and a mother back or we’re done.” – regarding the other side.
- “That is final.” – No more bringing people back.
- There will likely be crossovers between The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. They are working on getting the deals done to make it happen.
- Season 2 picks up four months later. Elijah came up with a plan for them to follow in order to sell the baby’s death. Klaus is not able to leave the house. He’s angry and “he needs to spill blood.”
- Hayley has post-partum depression. She lost her baby and she’s now a hybrid. “She’s losing her shit all over the place.”
- Rebekah (Claire Holt) will be back.
- New Orleans is better for Humans without the vampires in control. The Humans remain on the weaker side though.
- There’s a lot of friction between the vampires and werewolves and territorial debates.
Michael Narducci Interview
Highlights from the interview:
- When Season 2 begins, the baby is safely hidden with Rebekah. Francesca is in charge of the werewolves, who have been reproducing the moonlight ring. There is “a small army of stronger, faster, more dangerous werewolves in an alliance with the witches.”
- Francesca, the werewolves and the witches have control of New Orleans.
- Klaus knows that Esther is around and she may not want what’s best for the baby.
- Klaus, Elijah and Marcel put together a plan “to destroy the threat to the baby.”
- Hayley doesn’t have a connection to the werewolves now that she’s transitioned into a Hybrid. Despite that, she looks at the witches and werewolves aligned together and she wants to free the wolves from that deal.
- “They kissed twice. I’m not playing subtle with it.” – On Hayley and Elijah’s relationship
- Elijah’s whole goal is to save his brother. “The heart wants what the heart wants.” When Klaus didn’t take care of her, Elijah stepped in and there was a connection there.
- Hayley worries that Elijah will look down on her now that she’s a vampire, since he hates vampires.
- Hayley’s a Hybrid, so is Klaus. Will she be able to learn something from him? And they do have a child together. Could there be something there? Not necessarily a triangle, but three people who have suffered a tragedy together. They have to join forces to protect the baby.
- Marcel saved the baby. It was a true reconciliation between him and Klaus then. They’ve forgiven each other, but do they trust each other?
- Marcel took out the werewolves in the 1920s. Klaus wants to know how he did it and if they can do it again.
The Originals Season 2 premieres on Monday, October 6 at 8pm ET on the CW.
(Image courtesy of the CW/ Videos: Carla Day)