In the Supernatural season 9 premiere Sam was dying, so what did Dean do? He did what any loving Hunter brother would do and he made a deal to his brother’s life. Instead of getting help from a Demon this time, Dean sought help from an Angel, Ezekiel. Sam’s life was saved, but now Dean has a huge secret to keep from Sam.
Last week, I headed up to Vancouver to the Supernatural set to get the scoop on the season premiere and what else is coming up in season 9 for the Winchester brothers.
Check out the edited video interview with Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. And, prepare yourself for some laughs as well!
Highlights from the interview:
- In episode 8, there’s a scene about how the brothers have each other even though they lie to each other.
- Padalecki’s excited to have “an Angel embody Sam.” It would be a scary, fun thing to play.
- It’s been a running joke on set that Ezekiel is “inside” Sam. Ezekiel will continue to act through Sam for a while. He’s still around and it continues to be a secret in episode 8.
- “I like that it’s kind of like a work in progress and that slowly but surely, Sam is hopefully healing — presumably.” – Padalecki
“Or, is it a work in progress?” – Jensen
- Sam won’t be happy to find out the truth: “So we see Sam kinda come to terms with, ‘I’ve let a good life. I’ve done my damnedest, and I’ve done some bad, unfortunately, but I tried to do good.’ So we see Sam come to a point where he’s happy to move on. I think with the fact that Sam finally found that place, I think he’s going to be, obviously, unhappy that his brother lied and has been lying to him. That never works out well.” – Padalecki
- Cas will have to come to terms with his new human status. And, the brothers will have to adjust to his lack of ability to help. They don’t have “an angel in their pocket” any more.
- Cas makes his way to the Men of Letters bunker, but there’s a conflict with both Ezekiel and Cas being together.
- The Angel War that was in Heaven is now on Earth. There are different factions of Angels. And, some are after Cas. Dean tells his Angel friend, “You’ve gotta go.” In episode 7, the brothers find out where Cas has been.
- At 7:10, Co-Executive Producer, Jim Michaels makes a face in the window.
- “[Dean] doesn’t have his support system like he used to. He doesn’t have Cas the way he did. He doesn’t have Sam. He’s got his car. That’s about it. He’s got his car and his music. So the beginning of the season has been a little difficult for him because he kinda feels like he’s on an island of his own and that’s a situation that he doesn’t like to be in.” – Ackles
- The Men of Letters set has been expanded (Check out the photos below). It includes a garage for the Impala. “Baby finally got a place to sleep.” – Ackles
- Instead of just monsters-of-the week, the story is bigger than that in season 9. There’s a war going on for them to be involved in.
Supernatural airs Tuesdays at 9 pm ET on the CW.
Never miss Supernatural. Add the show to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image courtesy of The CW.)
Contributing Writer, BuddyTV
Contributing Editor and Writer for Collider, BuddyTV, TV Fanatic, CliqueClack, and other publications. TV criticism, reviews, interviews with actors and producers, and other related content. Founder of TV Diehard.