This morning I had the pleasure of talking with Tony Bellissimo, the first male dancer to be eliminated from So You Think You Can Dance. The quirky hip-hopper was an early fan favorite, thanks to his charming personality, boyish good looks, and a hilarious Vegas week performance that had Nigel Lythgoe stalking him on stage.
Despite being the heart-throb of Season 5 and a fan favorite, Tony was the first guy to be eliminated after he struggled with a routine in his own genre. Ever the optimist, Tony doesn’t regret a single thing about his time on So You Think You Can Dance and hopes to continue exploring new genres and growing as a dancer. He also plans on voting for every single couple left on the show, because he can’t pick favorites from his “new family” on who to vote for.
Take a listen to the interview above to hear everything Tony had to say about his time on So You Think You Can Dance and what’s next for him as a dancer. But here are a few of the highlights of our chat:
- Tony thinks that having a dance in his genre the first week hurt him more than helped, though he concedes it was up to him to shine in his own style.
- Tony is most bummed he won’t be able to work with Sonya Tayeh and Wade Robson. He admires Sonya’s attack and Wade’s creativity.
- Tony plans to try out ballroom next because he loves the ladies and dancing close to them.
- He doesn’t regret a thing about his time on So You Think You Can Dance.
- Tony can’t pick favorites of the remaining dancers, saying he “loves them all equally.”
–Abbey Simmons, BuddyTV Staff Writer
(Image Courtesy of FOX)
Contributing Writer, BuddyTV