The Cast and Characters of DC’s “Madame X” TV Show
Are you a long-time fan of DC’s “Madame X” comics? Here’s some good news coming your way: Madame X, also known as Madame Xanadu, is the latest DC Comics character coming to the small screen.
The series, along with other Justice League Dark characters, is being developed for HBO Max — and it has big names like J.J. Abrams and Angela Robinson working behind the scenes. In this article, we’ll tell you all about Madame X’s backstory and the characters you can expect to see in the upcoming production.
About DC’s “Madame X” TV Series
Madame Xanadu was first introduced in the DC Comics issue “Doorway to Nightmare” in 1978. The storyline was developed by David Michelinie and Val Mayerik, and her character was designed by Michael William Kaluta.
Madame X is an immortal mystic being whose real name is Nimue Inwudu. Her mystical abilities include levitation, teleportation, clairvoyance, and the power to banish minor demons.
She has been alive since King Arthur’s reign and was the wizard Merlin’s lover. After the fall of the Camelot, Nimue traveled the world. She ended up in Kublai Khan’s court in Xanadu, which led her to the assumed name, Madame Xanadu.
In the New 52 continuity, Madame Xanadu comes into being after Barry Allen (the Flash) unintentionally tampers with the timestream and merges the continuities of the Vertigo, WildStorm, and DC Universes. In this reboot of the character, she is revealed to be the mother of the villain Doctor Destiny.
The DC character also comes in contact with the Suicide Squad, and she is one of the founding members of Justice League Dark, which is a branch of the Justice League dedicated to dealing with mystical and supernatural threats. In later comics, she has a full-time job as a psychic at a law firm to help solve crimes.
It’s still unknown how the series will tackle Madame X’s story, so it will be interesting to see what they’ll do with the character.
Who Are the Executive Producers of DC’s “Madame X” Series?
The “Madame X” series is a collaboration between Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. It’s part of the Justice League Dark franchise that J.J. Abrams is developing for HBO Max. Bad Robot is co-founded and led by J.J. Abrams with Katie McGrath as co-CEO. Of course, J.J. Abrams is well-known for his work on “Star Wars,” “Star Trek,” and “Lost,” among others.
Filmmaker Angela Robinson, known for “True Blood, “Professor Marston & the Wonder Women,” and “How to Get Away With Murder” is set to write the drama series. Robinson and Abrams will serve as executive directors for the series with Ben Stephenson, who’s also a producer for “Justice League Dark.” Rachel Rusch Rich, Bad Robot’s senior vice president of television, will act as co-executive producer. Her work includes “Lovecraft Country” and “Castle Rock.”
Who Are the Main Characters of “Madame X”?
The show is still in the writing process, and the producers haven’t revealed much about it. But since it’s being developed as part of the Justice League Dark franchise, you’ll likely see the members of the league and other characters in Madame Xanadu’s long life.
- Madame X: Madame X is a mystic being who began her life as Nimue during the time of King Arthur. She’s immortal because of a deal she made with Death. In modern times, she helps create the Justice League Dark to fight the Enchantress. She also serves as Spectre’s spiritual adviser.
- John Constantine: John Constantine is a British warlock portrayed as a tall male with blonde hair in a tan raincoat. Despite being one of the good guys, Constantine is often blunt, disrespectful, and a master manipulator. His abilities include teleportation, enchantment, clairvoyance, and spell casting. The character is also one of the shows in development for HBO Max as part of the Justice League Dark universe.
- Zatanna: Zatanna, like Madame X, is a Homo magi who is one of the most powerful magic users in the world. She says her spells backward to make them happen, and her abilities include hypnosis, telekinesis, and reading and manipulating others’ thoughts. Zatanna is also in an on-again-off-again relationship with Constantine.
- Deadman: Deadman’s human name was Boston Brand. As a human, he was a circus acrobat who was murdered during a trapeze performance. But the Hindu goddess, Rama Kushna, intervened and gave his spirit the power to possess any living being so he could bring his killer and others to justice.
- Shade, the Changing Man: Shade is a superhero from the planet Meta. He fights using a stolen M-Vest that creates a strong force field, giving him limited invulnerability and flight. Shade also has the ability to project a distorted version of his image or reality to his enemies. The character has been a member of the Suicide Squad, the Secret Seven, and a founding member of the Justice League Dark.
- Etrigan the Demon: Just like Madame X, Etrigan and his other identity, Jason Blood, have been around since the reign of King Arthur. Etrigan is a demon prince from hell who was summoned by Merlin to prevent the fall of Camelot. The human Jason was bound to Etrigan and has the ability to swap places with his demonic counterpart when he says the magic phrase.
- Spectre: The Spectre is a supernatural being whose mission is to punish evil men. He takes on the power and personality of dead humans he is bound to. His most popular and most recurring host is Jim Corrigan. Madame Xanadu was the host for the Spectre for a short time. The Spectre also worked as a psychic detective with Madame Xanadu in another iteration of their story arc.
Who Are the Villains in “Madame X”?
Here are the most likely villains in the upcoming “Madame X” show according to the comic book plots:
- Enchantress: The Enchantress is a powerful sorceress who has the ability to manipulate magical energy to heal and teleport among others. She resides in her human host, June Moon. In the comic books, Madame Xanadu separated Enchantress from June. The separation caused chaos, but it was part of Madame X’s plan to unite Deadman, Constantine, Zatanna, and Shade to defeat the Enchantress. Madame X explained that she had a vision of a worse future that would have happened had they not worked together.
- Phantom Stranger: Madame Xanadu first met the Phantom Stranger in her early life. The Stranger influenced her to betray her lover, Merlin, during King Arthur’s time. Throughout their travels, Madame X and the Phantom Stranger meet and have an uncertain friend or foe relationship.
- Cain: Cain is the original and most powerful vampire according to the myth. Madame Xanadu felt the disturbance in the world’s magic when Cain awakened. The Justice League Dark fought Cain and his forces in Gotham along with Batman and other vampires.
Where Can You Watch Episodes of DC’s “Madame X” Series?
The DC Comics-inspired TV series is currently in development for HBO Max along with other Justice League Dark characters. There are no additional details yet on the “Madame X” release date; you’ll have to wait and see how the show’s creators will introduce each character.
Learn More About the Latest DC Shows and Movies on BuddyTV
Madame X is a character that has been around for a long time, but she may be an unknown character to mainstream audiences. This gives the writers and producers many angles to tell her story and connect other characters and shows.
The series is still in early development, so be sure to check out BuddyTV for any updates, first looks, and premiere dates of your favorite shows. We’ve got you covered on all streaming platforms, such as Netflix and HBO Max.
you might also like...
It’s never too early to get into superheroes. Case in point: Marvel’s “Spi...
The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) expands in 2022 with the premiere of “Moon...
“Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur” is an upcoming Disney Channel animated series...
If there is anything special about DC’s “Superman and Lois,” it’s probab...