Last season was a tough one for Diggle (as it was for pretty much everyone) on Arrow, and by the end of the finale, he had left the team and chosen to reenlist. When the new season begins, he’s overseas, and BuddyTV got the scoop from David Ramsey at San Diego Comic-Con about what to expect from his character in season 5.
Arrow Interview: Stephen Amell on Oliver as Mayor, His Opinion on the New Vigilantes and More>>>
Watch the video interview with David Ramsey:
Here are the highlights:
- At the beginning of the season, he’s overseas in Chechnya, but he will eventually return to the team, find there are new members and “have an opinion on them.”
- He’s still a man of “two minds” when the new season begins. He misses his family and the team, is trying to figure out why he pulled the trigger on Andy and feels guilty for Laurel’s death.
- Ramsey thinks there will be more Diggle flashbacks, but he hasn’t filmed any yet. There is something coming up with regards to characters in his life in the past, and you’ll see how he’s dealing with things “in a very visceral, visual way.”
- Flashpoint is going to affect a lot of things.
- He’s looking forward to the four-show crossover and Diggle’s reaction to Supergirl. (He’s even pitched his reaction to the writers.)
- Yes, Diggle has a new helmet this season after that brief exchange with Cisco last season. “It’s awesome,” Ramsey said, teasing, “We’ll get a glimpse of some of the extraordinary things that the helmet can do.” This helmet is more than just concealment now.
- Diggle has opinions on Lyla’s position in A.R.G.U.S. since the organization walks the lines in terms of how they administer justice.
- “There’s some things that Diggle’s going to find overseas that he’s going to need the team, including his wife.”
- Ramsey thinks the show is strongest as a “street-level crime fighting phenomenon,” with Oliver, Diggle and a couple others’ brawn and Felicity’s brain. He’s wanted the show to get back to that and it is.
Arrow season 5 premieres Wednesday, October 5 at 8pm on the CW.
(Image: Meredith Jacobs)