Fall TV has caught the dance bug in a big way (scientific name: jitterbug
This fall, three dance shows will be battling head-to-head and
beat-for-beat for viewers: America's Best Dance Crew
, Dancing with the
, and So You Think You Can Dance
To help you decide which show is worthy of your time and DVR minutes, we've compiled pro and con lists on why you
should and should not tune in to each of the dance competitions. So put on your dancing shoes and prepare for the real dance battle: which fall dance show should you watch?
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.
Why You Should Watch Dancing with the Stars:
- It's the original and longest lasting dance show of them all.
- Because if you want to see some of the best dancers in the world, watch the pros.
- Because season after season, Edyta Sliwinska's costumes keep
getting smaller and smaller. If the trend continues, this year, she'll dance nude.
- Tom Bergeron is smarmy and wonderfully inappropriate off-the-cuff.
Why You Should Watch So You Think You Can Dance or America's Best Dance Crew Instead:
- SYTYCD and ABDC are about dance, not celebrities or train wrecks.
- Because there's more to dance than ballroom styles.
- Because popularity often trumps potential and dance ability. (Ahem, Jerry Springer.)
- Let's be frank, most of them aren't really stars.
- Because second to the Chen-Bot, Samantha Harris is the stiffest host on TV.
Why You Should Watch America's Best Dance Crew:
Why You Should Watch So You Think You Can Dance or Dancing with the Stars Instead:
- The groups aren't just great dancers, they're great choreographers.
of the tricks you see on the stage will make you question if gravity
applies to everyone. Or if every person has the same number of bones.
- This is real, hard-hitting hip hop, no lyrical, half contemporary choreography in sight.
trio of dance judges are more fun or honest. They have no problem
picking favorites, being brutally honest, or frustrating censors with
- Three words folks: tranny dance crew.
Why You Should Watch So You Think You Can Dance:
- You love ballroom, contemporary, or any style besides breaking, step, or hip-hop.
- Because you were always more of a Zack Morris type of girl. (Sorry, Slater)
- You like some illusion of objectivity from the judges. Shane Sparks
has openly said he gets angry when a crew he wants to hate on doesn't
- Grown women with a penchant for dressing like infants freak you out.
- You hate that "rap music" and if it doesn't involve special shoes, you don't think it's a legitimate dance style.
Why You Should Watch America's Best Dance Crew or Dancing with the Stars Instead:
- To discover the charms of TV's best hostess: Cat Deeley.
- It's the only place you'll see (and more importantly hear) the Bard of Bucc.
- Because, these kids can dance. No question mark needed.
- To witness some of the country's finest choreographers do what they do best.
- To be introduced to a plethora of new dance styles.
- It's engaging and enjoyable even if you know nothing about dance.
- To watch art on prime time TV, on a station other than PBS.
- To fall in love with dance.
- Because you value your ear drums and are allergic to the phrase, "Hot Tamale Train."
- You had an actual creepy uncle and Nigel's comments and leering makes your skin crawl.
- You hate contemporary dance.
- There's promise of more celebrity guest dancers this season, like Katie Holmes.
- Because one more dance about two people falling in love just might make your head explode.
- You shouldn't. This is the best dance show on television.
--Abbey Simmons, BuddyTV Staff Writer (Images Courtesy of FOX, ABC, MTV)