The Leftovers takes place three years after an unexplained event took 2% of the world’s population. People just vanished. Gone. Nowhere to be found. The series from Lost‘s Damon Lindelof and novelist Tom Perrotta explores the aftermath of this event and how it affected those left behind without their loved ones.
Justin Theroux (Mulholland Drive) plays Chief of Police Kevin Garvey. He’s a father of two who wants to maintain a sense of normalcy in the new crazy world.
The Leftovers also stars: Amy Brenneman (Private Practice), Christopher Eccleston (Thor: The Dark World), Liv Tyler (The Lord of the Rings), Charlie Carver (Teen Wolf), Max Carver (Teen Wolf) Carrie Coon (Gone Girl), Ann Dowd (Side Effects), Michael Gaston (The Mentalist), Emily Meade (Boardwalk Empire), Annie Q (The Reluctant Professor), Margaret Qualley, Amanda Warren (The Adjustment Bureau) and Chris Zylka (The Amazing Spider-Man).
Check out the first trailer for HBO’s new series, The Leftovers.
Highlights from The Leftovers trailer:
- A crying baby stops wailing. He’s gone. Disappeared. A father vanishes leaving his son alone outside the store. It’s the beginning of the tale.
- What happens to “The Leftovers” remaining on Earth? People mourn the loss of their loved ones. Of course, Congress holds hearings on the matter. The Denziger Commission reports on their findings.
- A cult forms. What do they want? They follow people. They don’t speak. They smoke … a lot.
- “The grace period is over. It’s time to get to work.”
He later says, “The people pretending it never happened, they’re asleep. They need to wake up now.”
- Teenagers struggle with the event. They play a heightened version of Spin the Bottle. Choke! Will she do it?
- The witnesses have snapped. Will that happen to others?
- A fight breaks out at the memorial event, “Stop Wasting Your Breath.”
- Sex. Lots of sex.
- “Everybody’s ready to feel better.”
“Nobody’s ready to feel better. They’re read to fuckin’ explode.”
- “We’re still here.”
“We sure are.”
Will you be tuning in?
The Leftovers premieres on Sunday, June 29 at 10 pm ET on HBO.
(Image and video courtesy of HBO.)