If you’re a fan of cowboys (and gals!), CMT’s “The Last Cowboy” is a can’t-miss show. This reality TV drama series depicts real-world horse trainers as they compete in the world of professional reining. This article explains everything you need to know about the show, including an introduction to the key characters and where you can watch.
Where Can You Watch “The Last Cowboy?”
“The Last Cowboy” first aired on the Paramount Network in 2019. After the first season, the show moved to CMT. The second season aired on CMT, with the first episode airing on Nov. 12, 2021, at 8 p.m. EST. As of February 2022, the show remains on CMT.
Don’t have cable? No problem. There are many ways to catch the CMT show via streaming providers. Here are some ways you can watch the unscripted series:
- Hulu: Hulu’s Live TV service includes CMT streaming plus a raft of other popular cable channels.
- fuboTV: Although traditionally known for providing sports streaming, fuboTV also offers cable channels like CMT.
- Philo: This streaming provider lets you watch CMT live online. Sign up for Philo and you’ll also get access to 60+ other channels.
- DIRECTV STREAM: AT&T’s DIRECTV STREAM service includes CMT in its channel lineup. You’ll also get access to other favorite cable channels like HGTV, Discovery, and AMC.
- Sling TV: Although CMT is not in the basic Sling TV package, you can get it through the upper-tier Orange or Blue packages — just select the “comedy extra” add-on.
- Vidgo: This newer streaming service is priced competitively and gives you access to CMT through their Core Plan (which also includes 60+ other channels).
- Paramount Plus: The show’s original parent channel, Paramount Plus, still provides access to “The Last Cowboy.”
- Amazon Prime: If you’re a Prime video member with the Paramount add-on, you can catch both seasons of “The Last Cowboy” on the streaming platform.
- YouTube TV: YouTube added CMT to their lineup of channels in June 2020, giving you yet another means of watching “The Last Cowboy.”
Note that some of the streaming providers above offer free trials, giving you a chance to scope out “The Last Cowboy” for free. You can then decide if you want to pay to see more. Finally, you can also buy or rent seasons of the show via Apple iTunes and Google Play.
What Is “The Last Cowboy” About?
“The Last Cowboy” provides real-world insights into the day-to-day life of modern cowboys and cowgirls. It focuses on the sport of horse reining, a competition in which a horseback rider guides their steed through a predetermined pattern of spins, circles, and stops. Horse reining is considered a part of the cowboy tradition, and the individuals who take part in this sport are doing their part to preserve this bit of cultural history. The series follows these individuals as they train for reining events.
About Professional Horse Reining
Reining is a Western riding competition that some people compare to figure skating or a Wild West version of dressage riding. Riders have to guide their horses through a set routine of spins, circles, and stops — all done at a loping gait.
Reining gets its origins from working cowboys, who would have to complete these complicated maneuvers on horseback to herd cattle. The aim is to guide the horse through the routine with as little resistance from the animal’s part as possible.
Reining is scored according to precision, finesse, and smoothness. The degree of difficulty for each move is also factored in. The points system ranks from −1½ (extremely poor execution) to +1½ (excellent). Each rider performs a series of seven to eight maneuvers in total. The average score is a 70, which would be the score for a rider who made no mistakes but also didn’t perform difficult maneuvers.
Who Are the Main Characters of “The Last Cowboy?”
In its brief two-season run, “The Last Cowboy” has already introduced viewers to some compelling characters. The fact that these are all real cowboys and cowgirls competing in the high-stakes sport of horse reining makes them more fun to watch. Here are some of the more memorable cast members:
Matt is originally from Southern California. His storyline often focuses on his need to get a good competition horse. When he’s managed to secure a top ride, he’s performed excellently — even winning a gold medal in the 2006 World Equestrian Games.
Tom is a recognized star in the field. He’s won a gold medal at the World Equestrian Games, sits on the National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) board, and is a million-dollar rider. His son, Cade, is set to follow in his footsteps.
Cade is a standout star in the reining world. He was the youngest person in history to join Team USA for the World Equestrian Games and his grandfather is a former reining hall-of-famer. Although he’s a breakout star, he’s still young — and needs his parents’ permission to enter any competitions.
Mandy is Tom’s wife and Cade’s mother. She’s a born horsewoman, helping to manage the family’s ranch, which includes more than 150 horses. She also rides non-professionally.
Andrea is another big name in reining. At age 29, he became the NRHA’s youngest million-dollar rider. He’s originally from Bergamo, Italy, bringing some international flavor to the show.
Another name you might see associated with the show is that of Dan Nachtrab, the actor who narrates “The Last Cowboy.” The show is the brainchild of creator Taylor Sheridan. Steven Weinstock, Michelle Schiefen, Alexandra Lowry, Glenda Hersh, and Julie “Bob” Lombardi are the show’s executive producers.
About Season 1 of “The Last Cowboy”
The first season of the show consisted of six episodes. Here’s an overview:
- “The Cowboy Way” (Premiere Date: July 24, 2019): The first episode introduces the cowboys as they show off their skills in preparation for the 2019 reining season. The stakes are high, as a $1 million prize will be offered for the first time in the sport’s history.
- “Ride or Die” (July 31, 2019): The riders take part in a reining event called the Cactus Classic while dealing with personal and professional dramas.
- “Back in the Saddle” (Aug. 7, 2019): Tensions rise as some riders revel in victory and others seek revenge — plus, a new rider arrives on the scene.
- “Texas Showdown” (Aug. 14, 2019 ): The riders battle for a $75,000 grand prize, with a wildcard rider threatening to dethrone an old favorite.
- “Vegas or Bust” (Aug. 21, 2019): The riders prepare for the Million Dollar ride, which will take place in Las Vegas. Competition is fierce.
- “The Run for a Million” (Aug. 28, 2019): The season finale sees the riders battle for the $1-million prize at the biggest reining event in history in Las Vegas.
About Season 2 of “The Last Cowboy”
The second season of the show also consisted of six episodes. Here’s an overview:
- “Cactus Classic” (Aired Nov. 12, 2021): The season two cast prepares to compete for this year’s Run for a Million, which boasts the largest purse in the history of reining.
- “Horse Power” (Nov. 19, 2021): The riders return to life-as-usual following the qualifiers, but there’s still plenty of personal drama to be had.
- “The Next Generation” (Nov. 26, 2021): Veteran riders Andrea, Matt, and Craig work to train the next generation of riders, hoping their children will carry on their legacies.
- “The Right Horse” (Dec. 3, 2021): The riders compete at the NRBC reining contest in Texas. While some come away with confidence, others question whether they are ready for Vegas.
- “The Derby” (Dec. 10, 2021): The riders meet at the NHRA Derby, the last test before Vegas. Some surprise underdogs stand out from the crowd as top contenders.
- “The Run for a Million” (Dec. 17, 2021): The season concludes with the riders competing in Vegas for the grand prize: $1 million.
Will There Be a Season 3 of “The Last Cowboy?”
“The Last Cowboy” made a splash with its first season, so it was no surprise when a second season was announced. However, there haven’t been any announcements about a third season. Given the show’s popularity, we’re keeping our fingers crossed that the creators will give the public what they want: “The Last Cowboy” season three!
Stay Up to Date With News About Your Favorite Movies and Shows With BuddyTV
There are a lot of questions around “The Last Cowboy.” Will the show get picked up for a third season? Will all the same characters return? Who will be the big million-dollar winner? Check back with BuddyTV for updates. You’ll find current news on this series and plenty of your other favorite TV shows, ensuring you never miss a must-see episode.