Community is the little show that could. It’s struggled in the ratings but has been critically acclaimed since day one and backed by a cult following. So when NBC decided to cancel the show after season 5, hearts broke. But, there was still hope the show could be saved and fans could one day see six seasons and a movie. And in the eleventh hour, YahooScreen saved Community. So what can we expect for Community season 6? And what will change now that it’s not on network television? The Community panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2014 gave some insight.
Comic-Con 2014: Thursday Schedule for TV-Related Events– 24, Teen Wolf, Hannibal and More>>>
The San Diego Comic-Con 2014 panel began with a Community sizzle reel which concluded with a voiceover, “Ratings? Where we’re going, we don’t need ratings.”
Dan Harmon admits that he doesn’t know how Community was saved but says that they were asked if they were interested in the YahooStream deal just three hours before the deadline. Initially, Harmon said no. But 90 minutes later, changed his mind adding, “with season 6 of Community, you’ll be watching it the way you always watched it, only this time it’s legal.”
Joel McHale added that he always wanted Community back saying, “…you watch it the way most people do is on little screens and now we’re on one, so f*** you network television.”
What to Expect from Community Season 6
- The show is sticking to it’s 22-minute format. And no, it won’t be like Netflix–you’ll have to wait each week for a new episode.
- There is more freedom with online so Harmon is excited to experiment but no big fundamental changes.
- Will Jeff choose Britta or Annie? McHale suggests Dean Pelton. Harmon reminds us all that Community is not a “workplace comedy” centered around a couple relationships but rather an ensemble show.
- Is Greendale gone? Dino Stamatopoulos says “yes” but Harmon is not so sure. It’s possible that the show could move on but the school is a big part of Community.
- Harmon says the writers are discussing cast members returning but won’t give us clues. Well, John Oliver could return based on his contract. But then again, he has a new show on HBO.
- How about the return of the villainous City College? When asked, Harmon said it would be a good idea.
- A Pokemon episode? No, Harmon was joking but based on the Comic-Con crowd’s reaction maybe he’s having second thoughts. Really, he has no idea. But have no fear as he adds, “I start every season this way.”
- With the streaming schedule still up in the air, it’ll be tough to do a Halloween or Christmas episode.
- Not sure when to expect new episodes of Community. Production will start later this summer but Harmon then said they’ll start writing in the fall. Get ready for 2015.
So I guess…stay tuned!
(Image courtesy of NBC)