My mouth literally dropped open yesterday when I found out that Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag had eloped to Mexico. Every fan of The Hills knows how important it was for Heidi to have the wedding of her dreams, with all of her friends and family there to witness the event. In fact, this has been an issue plaguing the couple since they first talked of getting married. Spencer always wanted to elope, but Heidi always wanted the pomp and circumstance wedding. So when US Weekly reported that the two ran away together, without even so much as a word to their families, and came home as newleyweds, I think everyone was scratching their heads a little bit. Perez Hilton scooped everyone though, getting the story up before US Weekly and today, he blasted the couple in a video blog, calling them out for the media whores that they are.
Let me just say that I love Perez Hilton for not only calling out Heidi and Spencer, but US Weekly as well. He makes a great point. These days, it’s almost impossible for a magazine to run a print story and have that be breaking news. With bloggers and internet news sites, a magazine rarely gets first crack at a story anymore. Somehow, US Weekly had the exclusive with Heidi and Spencer’s supposedly spontaneous wedding. Perez claims that the media hungry couple struck a deal with the mag, got paid a 6 figure deal, and got themselves on the cover.
Perez brings up a few great points. Let’s take a look:
- Getting married in Mexico isn’t like geting married in Vegas. You need proper paperwork and you can’t just go on a whim. You need to have been there for a few days and you also must get bloodwork done. It would have had to have been planned.
- If the wedding was so spontaneous, why was there a photographer from a national magazine there?
- The Thanksgiving issue of US Weekly, which Heidi and Spencer appear on, is in newsstands longer than a regular issue, which only gives Heidi and Spencer more exposure.
- The wedding story that they concocted also lends itself to a great storyline on The Hills, which MTV has every intention of continuing.
- Eloping means that Heidi will still have to have her dream wedding which means that the “real wedding” will once again be covered by celeb magazines and get paid for it. Perez thinks that it’s already a done deal and written up in a contract.
Not that a celeb gossip blogger is necessarily to be trusted but Perez usually has trusted sources and stands by the integrity of his site. He’s certainly to be trusted more than Heidi and Spencer, of all people. Perez called Spencer an “evil genius” and perhaps that’s just exactly what he is. Evil, sure. Genius? The jury’s still out. Whether we like it or not, and whether they’re married or not, we’re talking about Heidi and Spencer – all part of their plan.
– Gina Scarpa, BuddyTV Staff Writer
Source: Perez Hilton, US Weekly
(Image courtesy of People)