Shadowhunters returns to Freeform for its second season to kick off 2017, and, ahead of the season premiere, BuddyTV got the scoop on what’s coming up from its stars Katherine McNamara, Emeraude Toubia, Dominic Sherwood and Matthew Daddario.
Freeform Announces Shadowhunters Season 2 Premiere Date and Stitchers Season 3 Renewal>>>
Watch the video interview with Katherine McNamara and Emeraude Toubia:
Here are a few highlights:
- “The show’s darker, it’s grittier, it’s sexier,” McNamara shared. “We’ve stepped up our game in every sense.”
- The addition of the character of Maia (played by Alisha Wainwright) causes problems especially for Clary; she’s like a daughter to Luke and becomes part of Simon’s life, both relationships that Clary has had all to herself until this point. She has to make some choices and find a way to fit into that world with Maia.
- Clary’s driving force in season 2 is to find her place in this world. In the first season, she was thrust into it and forced to be a Shadowhunter. Now she has a chance to look at her life and decide if she wants to be one. But if she does want to go back to her old life, can she?
- While Clary has her mother back, she has changed, meaning their relationship has too. Clary is no longer the girl her mother remembers, so she has to get her mother to see her as an adult, a Shadowhunter, and to recognize the growth is a bit of a challenge.
- Isabelle is struggling between Alec and being Clary’s friend. She wants to be the best Shadowhunter she can be, but she may not make the right choice, which could lead her down a dark path.
- There are flashbacks coming up that McNamara called “so cute.”
Watch the video interview with Dominic Sherwood and Matthew Daddario:
Here are a few highlights:
- Not much time has passed between seasons. Jace is on the ship with Valentine and everyone else is at the Institute, trying to find him.
- They’ll explore Magnus and Alec’s relationship in season 2. “It’s not going to be disappointing,” Daddario teased.
- Season 2 is darker and more intense.
- Everything is “aged up” in season 2, and you’ll see more conversations that are “real” to the ages of the characters and the circumstances.
- There are high stakes, and they want to reflect that in their behavior and the obstacles they’ll be overcoming.
Shadowhunters season 2 airs Tuesdays at 9/8c on Freeform. Want more news? Like our Facebook page.
(Image courtesy of Freeform; Videos: Meredith Jacobs)
Contributing Writer, BuddyTV
If it’s on TV — especially if it’s a procedural or superhero show — chances are Meredith watches it. She has a love for all things fiction, starting from a young age with ER and The X-Files on the small screen and the Nancy Drew books. Arrow kicked off the Arrowverse and her true passion for all things heroes. She’s enjoyed getting into the minds of serial killers since Criminal Minds, so it should be no surprise that her latest obsession is Prodigal Son.