Ciara Renee’s Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl has already been introduced in The Flash season 2, and her and Carter Hall/Hawkman’s story of reincarnation was explored in this year’s Arrow crossover. BuddyTV found out from Renee what to expect in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, her thoughts on her costume and more.
Arrow Recap: The Full History of Kendra, Carter and Vandal Savage is Revealed>>>
Watch the video interview with Ciara Renee:
Here are a few highlights:
- Kendra has always been trying to figure out why she feels so different in a way she can’t explain to others.
- She called it “awesome” to play a strong female superhero on TV.
- Renee thought it was smart to start with Kendra not knowing anything about herself.
- “It’s fun,” she said of the costume. It feels awesome, and she thinks she looks badass. They went back and forth about helmet, and she’s glad they’re using it because she feels like a different person with it.
- The team is trying to feel each other out. She knows about Captain Cold and Heat Wave because of her time in Central City. It’s fun to have them shuffled around in different groups and see who there’s tension with and with whom she clicks. The focus is on Hawkman, since he is the one training and helping her.
- Casper Crump is the “goofiest, nicest” man, according to Renee, so it’s fun to see him playing someone so different (the immortal bad guy).
- While Rip is a bit of the leader since he’s the one to bring them all together, whenever a person’s particular skill set is needed, he or she becomes the leader for that part of the mission.
- There’s a lot of action and drama, and Legends of Tomorrow blends the tones of The Flash and Arrow, so there’s comedy as well.
- The pilot is full of action, and after that, you start to see relationships you wouldn’t expect at all.
DC’s Legends of Tomorrow premieres Thursday, January 21 at 8pm on the CW.
(Image courtesy of the CW; Video: Meredith Jacobs)