NBC’s Constantine is one of the most highly anticipated new series of the fall, and if you’re worried about how much it will or will not stick to Hellblazer, that’s something executive producer David S. Goyer addressed at New York Comic-Con.
Constantine Releases New Promo, Introduces Angelica Celaya’s Zed>>>
Check out the video interview with Goyer:
Here are a few highlights:
- They do have “kind of a punk soundtrack.” In episode 3, John is listening to a Sex Pistols song in a scene featuring Papa Midnite.
- “The show ultimately will take place all over the world.” They are out of America for some of the first season, but not in London yet.
- Goyer admits there are some constraints in dealing with network, but points out NBC does have it in the same time slot as Hannibal. He doesn’t think they’ve toned it down that much.
- “What you hope with a show is that they get better and better with each episode, and episodes 3 and 4 and 5, 6, 7, it just ramps up and ramps up and [Matt Ryan] is just mainlining John Constantine, and god, is he funny.”
- They saw over 500 people for the role of Constantine. Ryan did a self-tape with a giant beard looking “like Sasquatch,” and Goyer said, “That’s the guy.” The studio didn’t agree at first.
- “I wanted somebody who looked like he leapt off the page,” Goyer explains. “Matt looks like John Constantine and he acts like John Constantine.”
- “[Constantine] had to be British, had to have the trench coat, the skinny tie. Even though he’s on network, he had to still be a smoker. …We all know that he gets cancer later on, and that’s something that we wanted to give a nod to. He had to be a bastard, sometimes an asshole. That’s just who he is. Snarky, and he lies, and he’s terrible to the men and women that he sleeps with. He’s not your first choice when you think of someone to save the world, but unfortunately, he’s the guy we’ve got.”
- They’ve filmed an episode with Jim Corrrigan already. “He’s not The Spectre yet, but we’re getting there.”
- “We never said he wasn’t bisexual.”
[Video] Constantine Behind the Scenes: John Constantine is the ‘Last Guy You Would Want to Trust’>>>
Constantine premieres Friday, October 24 at 10pm on NBC.
(Image and video courtesy of Meredith Jacobs)