Sarah Hyland began her career when she was four years old, initially doing television commercials and voice overs. After making her film debut as Howard Stern's daughter in Private Parts, she joined the cast of the daytime soap Another World. She later featured in the television movies The Audrey Hepburn Story (where she played a younger version of the title character) and Annie.
Hyland made her stage debut when she was 11, later appearing in several workshops, as well as off-Broadway and Broadway plays. She notably appeared in the Broadway musical Grey Gardens, where she played a young Jackie Bouvier. At the time, she was studying at the Professional Performing Arts School in New York; she graduated in 2008.
Hyland appeared as Brooke Shields' daughter in the short-lived NBC series Lipstick Jungle. Upon its cancellation in 2008, she decided to fly to Los Angeles, where she scored a role in a television pilot -- which would eventually become ABC's hit comedy Modern Family. There she plays stereotypical teenager Haley Dunphy.
- Sarah is the daughter of stage actor Edward James Hyland, and the older sister of actor Ian Hyland.
- A Tall Winter's Tale (1997)
- Private Parts (1997)
- The Object of My Affection (1998)
- Advice from a Caterpillar (1999)
- Cradle Will Rock (1999)
- Joe Gould's Secret (2000)
- The Empath (2002)
- Spanglish (2004)
- Blind Date (voice, 2007)
- I Owe My Life to Corbin Bleu (2010)
- Monster Heroes (2010)
- Cougar Inc. (2010)
- Another World (regular, 1997-1998)
- All My Children (regular, 2000)
- One Life to Live (regular, 2007)
- Lipstick Jungle (recurring, 2008-2009)
- Modern Family (regular, 2009-present)