American actor David Boreanaz was born on May 16, 1969 in Buffalo, New York. He was, however, raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where his father works as a television weather anchor. He went on to study at Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York before moving to Los Angeles, California to pursue an acting career. After a couple of uncredited film roles, he made his television debut as a guest on Married… with Children in 1993.
Boreanaz’ breakout role, however, came in 1997, when he was cast in the hit series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A producer—who spotted him walking his dog—cast him as Angel, a mysterious vampire who was cursed with a soul, which gave him a conscience and guilt over the many murders he committed. The series became popular, and Boreanaz’ character became one of the more popular characters. He left Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a regular character in 1999, when his character was spun off to his own series, Angel, which follows his life in Los Angeles seeking redemption. Nevertheless he continued to star in Buffy until the series’ conclusion in 2003, and starred in Angel until 2004.
His next regular television role was in the crime series Bones, which premiered in 2005. He plays FBI agent Seeley Booth, who is assisted by anthropologist “Bones” Brennan (Emily Deschanel) in his investigations involving hard-to-identify human remains. Despite his limited knowledge of science, he usually provides a layman’s translation to the findings that his colleagues discover.
Boreanaz also has a notable film career. He played supporting roles in several films, including I’m with Lucy, The Crow: Wicked Player, These Girls, Mr. Fix It and Suffering Man’s Charity. His only starring role in film came in 2001, when he appeared alongside Denise Richards and Katherine Heigl in the slasher horror film Valentine.
Boreanaz has been married twice. He is currently married to Playboy Playmate Jamie Bergman, with whom he has a son and a daughter.
- His favorite band is Grateful Dead.
- His favorite actress is Gwyneth Paltrow and his favorite actors are Al Pacino and Gary Oldman.
- He turned down an offer to play Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins.
- If he wasn't an actor he would be an architect.
- Before he pursued a career in acting, he had the opportunity to train with Jack Lambert of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- He has a fear of birds/chickens.
- He is a huge fan of hockey, and considers himself a fan of the Philadelphia Flyers.
- Saturn Award, Best Genre TV Actor, 2000 (for Angel)
- Saturn Award, Best Actor in a Television Series, 2003 (for Angel)
- Saturn Award, Best Actor in a Television Series, 2004 (for Angel)
- Macabre Pair of Shorts (1996)
- Valentine (2001)
- I'm With Lucy (2002)
- The Hard Easy (2005)
- The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005)
- These Girls (2005)
- Mr. Fix It (2006)
- Suffering Man's Charity (2007)
- The Mighty Macs (2009)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (regular, 1997-1999; recurring, 1999-2003)
- Angel (regular, 1999-2004)
- Bones (regular, 2005-present)
"I was always one who was clowning around in school and getting in trouble."
"I want to make films and write films, which will happen, I'm just taking a different route right now. I'm a bit of a chameleon with the whole entertainment industry so to speak."
"I see L.A. as a beautiful blonde with dirty underwear."