Sharknado 2: The Second One is a cinematic masterpiece.
No seriously! It knows exactly what its audience loved about the first one and decided to quadruple down on that. It doesn't take itself seriously, but it takes its job of entertaining fans very seriously. Find me a film this year that was more about entertaining fans the way they want to be entertained. And for achieving that, I say it's a cinematic masterpiece worthy of your time.
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.
(But only if you liked the first one. If you hated it and kept saying, "This is stupid," then you need to stay far, far away.)
Without spoiling the plot -- even though it really doesn't matter -- here's some reasons why you should watch.
10 Reasons to Watch Sharknado 2: The Second One
1. The majority of the celeb cameos are amazing. (Though for some of them, you might have to Google to know who they are aside from "that guy" or "that girl.") Whether they're on hand just to be shark food (one cameo lasted less than five seconds) or they're on for a very extended time, almost all of the celebrities involved had a ton of fun and took the role seriously. Special praise goes to Matt Lauer and Al Roker, both of whom appeared to be having a blast with the insane dialogue.
2. You'll find out that flying a commercial airliner is so ridiculously easy, that anyone can do it!
3. The movie parodies both The Twilight Zone and Airplane! within the first ten minutes. I laughed out loud at Robert Hays, the hero of Airplane!, directly quoting his film in his role as the pilot in this movie.
4. The effects remain terrible and laughable with my fiancee wondering multiple times how it could look like it was pouring rain in one shot and then completely sunny in the next one.
5. Tara Reid gets very little to do in this film -- though honestly it's Mark McGrath and his entire family that are truly wasted -- but she makes up for it when she saves Fin with her "hand" near the end of the film.
6. Sharknado 2 was actually shot in New York. Since a show like Suits can't be bothered to actually film in NY, it's a delight to see many familiar sites like the Willetts Point subway stop outside of CitiField.
7. The sheer variety of weapons used to kill sharks. Some of my favorites: a taser, Kelly Ripa's shoe and the man who literally threw chainsaws up a tornado.
8. Speaking of chainsaws, there are many moments towards the end of the film that hilariously and wonderfully evoke happy memories of Fin jumping through a shark with a chainsaw in the last one.
9. The smart, fun misdirects Thunder Levin's script constantly throws at you. For instance, at one point, we meet two random garbage workers. One of them finds a bowling ball. All you can think to yourself is, "Wow, I can't WAIT to see him throw that at a shark." And then those two are dead, just because.
10. Fin's "President Whitmore" speech to the crowd near the end of the film.
Sharknado 2: The Second One airs on Wednesday, July 30 at 9pm on Syfy.
(Image courtesy of Syfy)