Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot may be the best thing about FOX’s Gotham, and the actor sat down at New York Comic-Con to discuss his character, the fan reaction, working with Carol Kane and more.
Gotham Recap: Maroni Discovers Oswald’s True Identity>>>
Check out the video interview with Taylor:
Here are a few highlights:
- He’s a blond naturally, so they do his hair every week and a half.
- While he was a bit “reticent” about Twitter at first, he compares it to being on stage and getting immediate feedback.
- “The whole MO of the show, I feel, for me at least is to bring some real human pathos to these characters that we’ve all grown up with and know and to show sides of them that we’ve never seen before.”
- “I don’t want people to sympathize with this psychopath, but at the same time, when you learn more about where someone’s coming from, you can’t help but just — sympathy is too nice of a word, but…understand. I think that vulnerability comes in through that.”
- “It is transformative,” Taylor says of the hair/makeup/wardrobe for Oswald. “It’s just like stepping into his skin in a strange way.”
- “She’s such a fantastic actress,” he says of Carol Kane. “She and I rehearsed together in her dressing room before we worked together. …She’s so thorough in her work, it’s just so inspiring.” They play off each other.
Gotham Interview: Ben McKenzie on Jim’s ‘Morally Correct’ Decision, Barbara’s Secrets and More>>>
Gotham airs Mondays at 8pm on FOX.
(Image and video courtesy of Meredith Jacobs)