Nina Dobrev was born in Sofia, Bulgaria, and moved to Toronto, Canada at age 2. Her interest in performing showed at an early age, when she dabbled in acting, music and dance, among others.
Dobrev began modelling in her teens, which led to stints in TV commercials and, later, in films and TV shows. Her first major role came in 2006, when she was cast as Mia Jones - the teenage mother - in the Canadian teen series Degrassi: The Next Generation. It was a role she would hold for the next four years. During those four years she took up sociology at Ryerson University, but decided to drop out to pursue acting.
In 2009 Dobrev was cast on the CW series The Vampire Diaries, where she plays two roles: as Elena Gilbert, a present-day human caught between two vampire brothers; and her Civil War-era doppelganger Katherine Pierce, a vampire who the vampires loved when they were still human.
Nina Konstantinova Dobreva
- Nina speaks her native Bulgarian, as well as French and English.
- Teen Choice Award, Choice TV: Female Breakout Star, 2010 (for The Vampire Diaries)
- Teen Choice Award, Choice TV: Actress (Fantasy/Sci-Fi), 2010 (for The Vampire Diaries)
- Away from Her (2006)
- How She Move (2007)
- The Poet (2007)
- Fugitive Pieces (2007)
- Mookie's Law (2008)
- You Got That Light (2009)
- Chloe (2009)
- Degrassi: The Next Generation (regular, 2006-2010)
- The Border (recurring, 2008)
- The Vampire Diaries (regular, 2009-present)