The daughter of former Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay, Minka Kelly spent most of her childhood with her mother, exotic dancer Maureen Kelly. She moved to numerous towns before settling down in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Kelly pursued a modeling career after graduating from high school, but at one time studied as a surgery assistant after working as a receptionist for a surgeon's office. She worked as a scrub technician while auditioning for several roles.
After early roles -- such as a recurring role in What I Like About You -- Kelly was cast in the NBC series Friday Night Lights. Her portrayal of cheerleader Lyla Garrity earned praise from critics. She left the show at the end of the third season, but returned for several episodes in the fourth season.
After appearing in the failed (but quite anticipated) CW pilot Body Politic, Kelly held a recurring role in the NBC series Parenthood. In 2010, her profile was elevated when she was named as Esquire's Sexiest Woman Alive. In 2011, she joined the cast of ABC's remake of Charlie's Angels. Two years later, she became a series regular on Almost Human.
- Devil's Highway (2005)
- The Pumpkin Karver (2006)
- State's Evidence (2006)
- The Kingdom (2007)
- (500) Days of Summer (2009)
- The Roommate (2011)
- Just Go With It (2011)
- Searching for Sonny (2011)
- Lee Daniels' The Butler (2013)
- What I Like About You (recurring, 2005)
- Friday Night Lights (regular, 2006-2008; recurring, 2009)
- Parenthood (recurring, 2010)
- Charlie's Angels (regular, 2011)
- Almost Human (regular, 2013)