Actor Matthew Gray Gubler was born on March 9 1980 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Aside from his efforts on screen, he has also been known as a film director, sketch artist and a fashion model. He was educated at The Meadows School and majored in acting at the Las Vegas Academy of International Studies, Performing and Visual Arts. That was only because the school wasn't offering a course in film-making, his true passion. In college, however, he managed to study film directing at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.
While there, Gubler was discovered by a model scout. This led him to his career with DNA Model Management, enabling him to appear on ads for Tommy Hilfiger, Marc Jacobs and American Eagle. Afterwards, he took on an internship for Wes Anderson and made his first film debut.
Gubler was encouraged to audition for a part in Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004). He played the character Nico, soon finding himself landing other, more prominent roles. The actor was cast as Dr. Spencer Reid on CBS' Criminal Minds and even had a hand in directing a few episodes.
On the big screen, Matthew Gray Gubler has been seen on films like RV (2006) and on (500) Days of Summer (2009). He has also voiced the character Simon Seville on the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies. Other movie roles of his include How to Be a Serial Killer (2008) and Magic Valley (2010). Behind the scenes though, he has directed and created a number of documentaries and mockumentaries chronicling his life. He is also credited for directing, editing and co-producing The Killers' music video for "Don't Shoot Me Santa".
- The dark circles around his eyes are natural.
- The first time in years that Matthew wore matching socks, he sprained his ankle.
- He was a magician from the age of 8 to 14.
- He has admitted to being a Star Wars fan, he says he is 100% obsessed with the movie.
- He auditioned for the role of Dr. Spencer Reid in Criminal Minds three times, and got the part after the fourth audition.
- He appeared in a Fatboy Slim Video called "Wonderful Night".
- He loves his last name and likes having things monogrammed.
- He not only likes taking baths, he also likes carving pumpkins, playing badminton, eating cashews, and spending time with his friends and family.
- He is good friends with 2 of the band members from The Killers.
- He majored in film directing at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, graduating in 2002.
- He made up the Goobie Awards around the set of Criminal Minds, presenting awards to the crew with categories like Craziest Accent.
2010: Pornstar - Ziggy
2005-2010: Criminal Minds (TV series) - Dr. Spencer Reid
2009: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (voice) - Simon
2009: 500 Days of Summer - Paul
2008: How to Be a Serial Killer - Bart
2008: The Great Buck Howard - Russell
2007: Alvin and the Chipmunks (voice) - Simon
2006: Matthew Gray Gubler: The Unauthorized Documentary (short) - Matthew Gray Gubler
2006: Runaway Vacation - Joe Joe
2005: Arrested Development (TV series) - Hiker
2004: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Intern #1
"My family still knows I'm an idiot, thank God!"
"I never in a million years thought I would be an actor."
"The toughest acting I've ever done was on those terrible runway catwalks."
"Why does everyone in L.A. dress like they are from some horrible version of the future?"