Maksim Chmerkosvkiy began dancing in his native Ukraine at age 4. Despite a skiing accident that injured his leg, he continued to pursue dancing, despite initial prognosis that he could be handicapped for the rest of his life.
The Chmerkovskiys later moved to the United States, where Maksim and his brother Valentin received more opportunities at a dancing career. Maksim began competing professionally, winning numerous tilts across the world.
Maksim is best known to Americans as a pro dancer on ABC's Dancing with the Stars, which he joined in its second season. His best finish came in the fifth season, when he and his partner Mel B finished in second place. He also won the 2009 revival of Superstars, with skiier Kristi Leskinen.
He also owns four dance studios in New York City, and is a renowned ballroom choreographer and dancesport coach. He was once engaged to fellow DWTS pro dancer Karina Smirnoff, but the two broke up in 2008.
Maksim Aleksandrovich Chmerkovskiy
- La Classique du Quebec Championship, 2003
- Ohio Star Ballroom Latin Championship, 2003
- All-England Championship, 2004
- Philadelphia Dancesport Festival, 2004
- Nevada Star Ball Championship, 2004
- Manhattan Dancesport Professional Latin Championship, 2004
- Yankee Classic Professional Latin Championship, 2007
- Dancing with the Stars (pro dancer, 2006-2010)
- Superstars (competitor, 2009)