Lauren Graham discovered acting while in elementary school, and went from school plays to community theater. She graduated from Barnard College in 1988, taking an English degree, and later took an MFA in acting from Southern Methodist University.
Graham moved to Los Angeles in 1995, where she pursued several roles in television. She was cast as a regular in several short-lived comedies, including Townies and MYOB, but she saw more success through recurring roles in 3rd Rock from the Sun, Law & Order and Newsradio. Her breakout role came in 2000, when she joined the WB show Gilmore Girls, as fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore; this led to a Golden Globe nomination in 2001.
Graham also pursued a film career, beginning in indie film productions and later appearing in major features such as The Pacifier, Evan Almighty and Flash of Genius. In 2010, she returned to television, joining NBC's Parenthood after Maura Tierney left for medical reasons.
Graham is currently dating her Parenthood co-star, Peter Krause.
- Her father is the President of the Chocolate Manufacturer's Association and her mother worked in the fashion industry.
- In 2003, she started her own production company called Good Game.
- An avid reader, she never leaves home without a book.
- Family Television Award, Best Actress, 2001 (for Gilmore Girls)
- Teen Choice Award, Choice TV Parental Unit, 2005 (for Gilmore Girls)
- Teen Choice Award, Choice TV Parental Unit, 2006 (for Gilmore Girls)
- Nightwatch (1997)
- Confessions of a Sexist Pig (1998)
- One True Thing (1998)
- Dill Scallion (1999)
- Sweet November (2001)
- Bad Santa (2003)
- Seeing Other People (2004)
- Lucky 13 (2005)
- The Life Coach (2005)
- The Amateurs (2005)
- The Pacifier (2005)
- Gnome (2005)
- Because I Said So (2007)
- Evan Almighty (2007)
- Birds of America (2008)
- Flash of Genius (2008)
- The Answer Man (2009)
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (voice, 2009)
- It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)
- Caroline in the City (recurring, 1995-1996)
- Good Company (recurring, 1996)
- Townies (regular, 1996)
- Law and Order (recurring, 1997)
- NewsRadio (recurring, 1997)
- Conrad Bloom (regular, 1998)
- MYOB (regular, 2000)
- Gilmore Girls (regular, 2000-2007)
- Parenthood (regular, 2010-present)
"Perspective is the most important thing to have in life."
"Belly buttons are cool".
On her career prior to "Gilmore Girls: "I kept playing the bland friend, and my line was like 'Let's go get a sandwich!'".
"These days I have to be extra nice in stores. It never fails that whenever I look as bad as I can possibly look or I am sort of cranky because the store is out of something, that is precisely the time when someone one will recognize me and say: 'I really like your show.'"
My character has louder taste in clothes, I think. Personally, all I ever want to be wearing are jeans. - on Lorelai Gilmore
"Nobody ever seems to want my advice about serious stuff. People will be like: 'Who made that sweater?' Or 'How did you get your hair so straight?' They don't to come to me for the relationship advice or deep stuff. In fact, my little sister actually hides from me."
"It can't be Christmas every day!"