Hilary Duff began acting as a child, when her mother encouraged her, along with sister Haylie, to take acting classes. From local theater productions, she appeared in various television commercials, especially when the family moved to Los Angeles.
Duff got her first big break in the 1998 film Casper Meets Wendy, and got critical acclaim in the 1999 TV movie The Soul Collector, which earned her a Young Artist Award. Her biggest break, however, came in 2001, when she was cast in the title role on the Disney Channel series Lizzie McGuire. The series was a hit and she became a Disney darling, leading to a film adaptation in 2003, as well as another popular TV special, Cadet Kelly.
Also in 2003, Duff launched her music career, releasing her successful second album Metamorphosis. (Her first album, 2002's Santa Claus Lane, was a collection of Christmas songs that received a moderate response.) Buoyed by her popularity as well as one of her songs being picked as the theme Laguna Beach, the album was a hit. Her follow-up, 2004's Hilary Duff, was also a chart hit.
Duff left Lizzie McGuire in 2004, but continued appearing in films such as A Cinderella Story, Raise Your Voice and the two Cheaper by the Dozen films. Reaction, however, was mixed - critics weren't keen, but fans loved it anyway.
Duff's later projects saw her move away from the teen genre where she was often typecast. After releasing her fourth album Dignity, she filmed two independent films, Greta and What Goes Up. She also took a recurring role in the CW series Gossip Girl, and recently penned her first novel, Elixir. She also translated her early success as a teen icon into several business ventures, such as a clothing line aimed at teens, as well as a perfume, in partnership with Elizabeth Arden.
Duff married NHL player Mike Comrie in 2010.
- She cites her favorite film as Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997).
- She works with the charity Kids With a Cause since 1999, and became its Official International Spokesperson in 2004.
- Her hobbies include gymnastics, swimming, reading, singing, writing, and hanging out with older sister, Haylie Duff.
- She owns a clothing line called "Stuff by Hilary Duff", available at Target stores.
- She claims to be a huge fan of Janis Joplin.
- Young Artist Award, Best Performance in a TV Movie or Pilot (Supporting Young Actress), 2000 (for The Soul Collector)
- Teen Choice Award, Choice Movie Breakout Star (Female), 2003 (for The Lizzie McGuire Movie)
- Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, Rising Star Award, 2003
- Young Artist Award, Best Young Ensemble in a Feature Film, 2004 (for Cheaper By The Dozen)
- Kids' Choice Award Australia, Favorite Television Star, 2004 (for Lizzie McGuire)
- Young Hollywood Award, 2004
- Teen Choice Award, Choice Movie Blush Scene, 2005 (for A Cinderella Story)
- Kids' Choice Award, Favorite Movie Actress, 2005 (for A Cinderella Story and Raise Your Voice)
- Kids' Choice Award Australia, Favorite Movie Star, 2005 (for A Cinderella Story, Raise Your Voice and The Perfect Man)
- DVD Exclusive Award, 2005
2010: Community (TV series) - Meghan
2010: Beauty & the Briefcase (TV movie) - Lane
2010: Provinces of Night - Raven Lee Halfacre
2009: Gossip Girl (TV series) - Olivia Burke
2009: Greta - Greta
2009: What Goes Up - Lucy Diamond
2009: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (TV series) - Ashlee Walker
2009: Stay Cool - Shasta O'Neil
2009: Ghost Whisperer (TV series) - Morgan Jeffries
2009: Foodfight! - Sunshine Goodness (voice)
2008: War, Inc. - Yonica Babyyeah
2006: Material Girls - Tanzie Marchetta
2005: Cheaper by the Dozen 2 - Lorraine Baker
2005: Disney Channel Holiday (video) - Lizzie McGuire
2005: The Perfect Man - Holly Hamilton
2003-2005: George Lopez (TV series) - Kenzie/Stephanie
2005: Joan of Arcadia (TV series) - Dylan Samuels
2004: In Search of Santa (video) - Crystal (voice)
2004: Raise Your Voice - Teresa 'Terri' Fletcher
2004: Disney 411 (TV series)
2004: A Cinderella Story - Sam Montgomery
2001-2004: Lizzie McGuire (TV series) - Lizzie McGuire
2004: Frasier (TV series) - Britney
2003: Cheaper by the Dozen - Lorraine Baker
2003: American Dreams (TV series) - Shangri-Las
2003: The Lizzie McGuire Movie - Lizzie McGuire/Isabella Parigi
2003: Agent Cody Banks - Natalie Connors
2002: Cadet Kelly (TV movie) - Kelly
2001: Human Nature - Young Lila Jute
2000: Chicago Hope (TV series) - Jessie Seldon
1999: The Soul Collector (TV movie) - Ellie
1998: Playing by Heart - Extra
1998: Casper Meets Wendy (TV movie) - Wendy
1997: True Women (TV movie) - Extra
“I'm not scandalous. I think it's actually embarrassing to be in those, yet some people will do anything to be in those magazines. I'm happy with who I am, and I'm happy with the way people portray me. If it's too normal, than that's their opinion.”