Dionne Warwick is an award-winning performer who is known for hits like "Don't Make Me Over," "Walk On By," "I Say a Little Prayer" and "That's What Friends Are For." From 1962 up until today, she has released over 60 albums and has earned various awards and honors from different award giving bodies.
As an actress, Warwick appeared in Walker, Texas Ranger, The Wayans Bros, Rent-a-Cop, The Rockford Files, Switch and Salves. Most recently, she joined The Celebrity Apprentice season 4. Warwick is also a United Nations Global Ambassador for the Food and Agriculture Organization, and a United States Ambassador of Health.
East Orange, New Jersey, USA
- She is the cousin of singer Whitney Houston and the sister of Dee Dee Warwick.
- During the 1990s, she became the celebrity spokesperson for the Psychic Friends Network.
- She began singing at the age of 6 years old and could be heard performing at a Baptist church.
- The elementary school she went to as a child was later named after her. It became known as Dionne Warwick Institute of Economics and Entrepreneurship in East Orange, New Jersey.
- She is married to William Elliott, and is the mother of David and Damon Elliott.
- In 1987, she was named the U.S. Ambassador of Health.
NARAS Grammy Award 1968: "Best Contemporary Female Solo Vocal Performance" for the single, "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?."
NARAS Grammy Award 1970: "Best Contemporary Vocal Performance, Female" for the album, "I'll Never Fall in Love Again".
NARAS Grammy Award 1979: "Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female" for the single, "Deja Vu."
NARAS Grammy Award 1979: "Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female" for the single, "I'll Never Love This Way Again."
NARAS Grammy Award 1986: "Best Pop Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocal" for the single, "That's What Friends Are For."
NARAS Grammy Hall of Fame-Don't Make Me Over
NARAS Grammy Hall of Fame-Walk on By.
NARAS Grammy Hall of Fame-Alfie.
1988: Image Awards - Special Award : Entertainer of the Year
1970: Hasty Pudding Theatricals, USA - Woman of the Year
2011: The Apprentice (TV series) - Contestant
2005: Dionne Warwick (video) - Dionne
2000: Walker, Texas Ranger (TV series) - Dionne Berry
1999: Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child (TV series) - Miss Kitty
1999: So Weird (TV series) - Effy
1996: The Wayans Bros. (TV series) - Mrs. Jackson
1993: Noche, noche (TV series)
1991: Extralarge: Black Magic (TV movie) - Mama Limbo
1987: Rent-a-Cop - Beth
1986: The Fall Guy (TV series)
1982: Debby Boone... One Step Closer (TV movie)
1981: A Gift of Music (TV movie) - Host
1976-1977: Switch (TV series) - Sherry/Sheri
1977: The Rockford Files (TV series) - Thea Best/Thea Moran
1969: Slaves - Cassy
1966-1968: The Red Skelton Hour (TV series) - Guest Vocalist
1967: Noche del sábado (TV series)
"My self-imposed mandate is to be the voice for the voiceless."