Courteney Cox took up architecture at the former Mount Vernon College for Women, but dropped out to pursue an acting and modeling career. After a few commercials, she had stints in the short-lived series The Misfits of Science, and later had a recurring role in Family Ties. She also appeared in several high-profile films, including Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.
In 1994, Cox -- already a prominent actress in her own right -- got her biggest break when she joined the cast of the NBC hit Friends. Her portrayal of obsessive-compulsive Monica Gellar clicked with fans, and quickly became her most known role to date. She stayed with the show until it wrapped up in 2004, and once held the record for being the highest-paid TV actress of all time, along with her female co-stars Lisa Kudrow and Jennifer Aniston.
Cox also saw success with her role in the 1996 thriller Scream, where he co-starred with David Arquette. The two would marry in 1999, and appear in Scream's three other sequels -- despite the pair separating in 2010, months before the fourth film was released.
Cox's career slowed down after Friends ended, with her focusing on family life. She returned to television in 2007 in the FX series Dirt, where she played ruthless tabloid editor Lucy Spiller; the series struggled in the ratings and was cancelled after the second season. After a recurring role in the comedy series Scrubs, Cox took the led role (as well as producing duties) in the ABC comedy Cougar Town, for which she received her first ever Golden Globe nomination.
Cox and Arquette have a daughter, Coco Riley Arquette, who was born in 2004.
- Courteney originally auditioned for the role of Rachel on Friends; it eventually went to Jennifer Aniston.
- She was the original choice to play Susan Mayer on ABC's Desperate Housewives; however, she was unavailable due to her then pregnancy, and the role ultimately went to Teri Hatcher.
- Golden Apple Award, Female Discovery of the Year, 1995
- Screen Actors Guild Award, Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series, 1996 (for Friends)
- Teen Choice Award, Film: Choice Chemistry, 2000 (for Scream 3)
- Down Twisted (1987)
- Masters of the Universe (1987)
- Cocoon: The Return (1988)
- Mr. Destiny (1990)
- Shaking The Tree (1990)
- Blue Desert (1991)
- The Opposite Sex and How To Live With Them (1992)
- Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)
- Scream (1996)
- Commandments (1997)
- Scream 2 (1997)
- Alien Love Triangle (1999)
- The Runner (1999)
- Scream 3 (2000)
- 3000 Miles to Graceland (2001)
- The Shrink Is In (2001)
- Get Well Soon (2001)
- November (2004)
- Barnyard (voice, 2006)
- Zoom (2006)
- The Tripper (2006)
- The Monday Before Thanksgiving (2008)
- Bedtime Stories (2008)
- Scream 4 (2011)
- As The World Turns (regular, 1984)
- Misfits of Science (regular, 1985-1986)
- Family Ties (recurring, 1987-1989)
- The Trouble With Larry (recurring, 1993)
- Friends (regular, 1994-2004)
- Dirt (regular, 2007-2008)
- Scrubs (recurring, 2009)
- Cougar Town (regular, 2009-present)