Alex O'Loughlin trained at the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney, Australia, graduating in 2002. He began acting as a teenager, appearing in small theater productions, and later progressed to several Aussie screen productions. His first successful role was in the miniseries The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant, for which he earned a Logie nomination.
O'Loughlin recurred for the FX series The Shield in 2007; he later left the show to join the CBS supernatural drama Moonlight. Despite a cult following the series was cancelled after only one season. He later turned up in the CBS medical drama, Three Rivers, which was also yanked after one season.
O'Loughlin finally saw success in 2010, when he was tasked to head CBS' reboot of the classic crime series Hawaii Five-0.
- Though he was eyed by producers for the role of James Bond, Daniel Craig was the one who eventually nailed the part.
- Rock climbing is one of his favorite past times.
- He previously dated singer actress Holly Valance.
- Oyster Farmer (2004)
- Man-Thing (2005)
- Feed (2005)
- The Holiday (2006)
- The Invisible (2007)
- August Rush (2007)
- Whiteout (2009)
- The Back-Up Plan (2010)
- The Shield (recurring, 2007)
- Moonlight (regular, 2007-2008)
- Three Rivers (regular, 2009-2010)
- Hawaii Five-0 (regular, 2010-present)
"I am a big fan of vampires. I've always been obsessed with the genre, and the beautiful romanticism and erotic kind of nature of the immortal being, the undead who lives on human blood."