Stephen King's novel, Under the Dome, is being adapted and coming to your television screen on Monday, June 24 for a 13-episode run this summer. When a dome force field cuts off the small town of Chester's Mill, the residents are separated from the outside world and forced to survive in isolation.
"We'd like Under the Dome to be a 'family fright'" -- Stephen King
CBS has released a video of Stephen King discussing his thoughts about his book's adaptation to television, as well as, commentary from actors on the show. The video includes clips from the series which demonstrate the amazing visuals that can be expected.
Check out the video, "Go Under the Dome with Stephen King."
Highlights from the preview:
- King's novel was long, but only covered "a week or 10 days" in time.
- King enjoys exploring situations in which people are forced to either "rise to the challenge" or "crumble."
- King hopes that viewers will start to ask questions like, "What is this Dome? What does it mean? What is the purpose of it?"
- Angie and Joe's parents were outside of the town when the Dome hit, so they are left all alone.
- The whole town is under the dome and cut off from the outside world. They are trapped there.
- Junior appears to have Angie locked up. He tells her that she'll thank him for it. Is that him at the end of the video locking up a metal door with her screaming, "Stop!"
- The casualties of the Dome aren't just people. The Dome takes out cows, airplanes, and a truck.
- King says that it's a character driven show, but they aren't "shying away from the big effects."
- A boy has a seizure. With the town cut off, what is the medical assistance situation? There is also a scene with massive casualties.
Natalie Zea Joins Under the Dome Cast
Also, on a conference call with reporters this week, Showrunner Neal Baer confirmed that Natalie Zea will be joining the cast. She's best known from her roles on Justified and most recently on The Following.
Baer said that her character, Maxine, is "a wholly new invention. So, she's not in the book." He didn't want to give away too much about the character but revealed that "She's someone with a connection with more than one person under the dome."
Under the Dome premieres on Monday, June 24 at 10 pm ET on CBS.
Never miss Under the Dome! Add the show to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image and video courtesy of CBS)