The Vampire Diaries
doesn't return for a couple of weeks, but when it does fans will get the last five episodes of season 4 in a row. First up: It's time for the prom in Mystic Falls
. Once prom is over, the Original vampires will be heading down to New Orleans in an episode titled, "The Originals."
The episode airing on April 25 is a backdoor pilot for a potential series revolving around Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies), Rebekah (Claire Holt), and Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) from The Vampire Diaries.
They will be joined by Klaus' former protege, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), and a witch, Sophie (Daniella Pineda).
The CW has released a few details about "The Originals" episode.
In New Orleans:
- Klaus is reunited with Marcel after he returns to New Orleans to investigate a tip that someone is plotting against him.
- Marcel has total control over both the humans, vampires, and other supernatural creatures living in New Orleans.
- Elijah follows Klaus to New Orleans to help his brother find redemption.
- Hayley is also in New Orleans. She headed there to track down her family roots, but somehow got mixed up with the witch, Sophie.
Back in Mystic Falls:
- Damon and Stefan continue their plan regarding Elena.
- Katherine's back in town.
- Katherine reveals a surprising vulnerability to Rebekah and asks her to deliver a message.
Morgan spoke with Fearnet
about the upcoming backdoor pilot. He explained that the hour will begin and conclude in Mystic Falls with "The Originals" story in between which will have a different feel to it.
"It's amazing. It's epic and a bigger story. For Vampire Diaries, it's more of small-town stories and coming of age with humans and creatures involved. "The Originals" goes into why Klaus goes to New Orleans."
He explains,"We'll meet all these new characters, some from his past and some new. We'll see the world on a bigger scale. "The Originals" is building towards a war between two species and the struggle that exists there."
While Morgan talked about the differences between the potential new show and the original drama set in Mystic Falls, Julie Plec, executive producer and the writer of "The Originals, discussed some of the similarities to SheKnows
"It's all born of a very similar world of tone and grounded in human emotion: love, family, loss, betrayal, friendship. I think if anything it's much more of a deep operatic family supernatural drama," she said.
"The original family and their dynamics with each other is what's driving the series, the center of which is Klaus: mercurial, egomaniacal, temperamental and unpredictable. It's about understanding what makes him tick and his siblings trying to figure out how to keep him in line.
Are you excited for the trip to New Orleans? Will you miss Klaus in Mystic Falls if the new series gets picked up by the CW?
The Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8 pm ET on the CW.
Never miss your favorite shows. Add them to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free
for your phone.
(Image courtesy of the CW.)